Edge Insight EGT Probe Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Insight EGT Probe Issue

I've had an Edge Insight for about 2 years now....and LOVE IT! Few weeks ago, I purchased and installed the EGT probe....and on a trip just last weekend, it worked well. Got home Sunday, parked the truck and today when I got back in the truck, the Edge Insight wouldn't power up.

Checked the OBDII fuse...all fine (and cigar lighter worked too). Unplugged and replugged back in the Edge Insight....nothing. So, I unplugged the EGT probe wire and poof....it comes back on. Plug it back it, and it goes off.

So now I'm wondering....what is wrong? Can a probe go bad? Or is it my Insight that just doesn't like it anymore? I have checked and all the cabling is fine....no rubbed wires, etc.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Sounds like the pyro looks like a call to edge.
2 stroker
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine was doing something similar, although mine is directly related to the heat of the CS. It's mounted on the windshield in the direct sunlight and it gets VERY hot so it turns itself off. I pointed my AC duct on it and it's been fine since. I would guess your issue is probably similar.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
I've had an Edge Insight for about 2 years now....and LOVE IT! Few weeks ago, I purchased and installed the EGT probe....and on a trip just last weekend, it worked well. Got home Sunday, parked the truck and today when I got back in the truck, the Edge Insight wouldn't power up.

Checked the OBDII fuse...all fine (and cigar lighter worked too). Unplugged and replugged back in the Edge Insight....nothing. So, I unplugged the EGT probe wire and poof....it comes back on. Plug it back it, and it goes off.

So now I'm wondering....what is wrong? Can a probe go bad? Or is it my Insight that just doesn't like it anymore? I have checked and all the cabling is fine....no rubbed wires, etc.

Thoughts?
Have you tried the recently released firmware update from EDGE? Prior to loading the update my CTS (with EAS and EGT probe) would randomly shutdown, and with no consistent pattern.

I originally sent the unit back to EDGE and they troubleshooted and found nothing. They returned it to me and the problem continued. I retuned the original unit for a second time and asked for a new unit. EDGE sent a new one, but the same periodic shutdowns continued until I recently loaded the firmware update. Since then no periodic shutdowns have occured (its been two weeks or so).
Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Slacker

Mine shut down on me twice over the past 2 days. Looks like when I press the enter button, it comes back online and stays online. I believe I have the newest firmware from about 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Mine shut down on me twice over the past 2 days. Looks like when I press the enter button, it comes back online and stays online. I believe I have the newest firmware from about 2 weeks ago.
I called Tech Support and worked with Edge....appears to be the EGT probe has gone bad. When removed from the manifold, it works fine. But as soon as it is installed (grounded), the Insight monitor won't come on.

Was VERY impressed with their tech support line! They are sending me a replacement probe at no charge provided I return the failed one within 30 days. Good to see that there are a few reputable companies left that stand behind their products.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Good to hear they took care of you!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
I called Tech Support and worked with Edge....appears to be the EGT probe has gone bad. When removed from the manifold, it works fine. But as soon as it is installed (grounded), the Insight monitor won't come on.

Was VERY impressed with their tech support line! They are sending me a replacement probe at no charge provided I return the failed one within 30 days. Good to see that there are a few reputable companies left that stand behind their products.
Glad to hear it. I wonder if my problem is similar, although just pressing the enter button (I have the CS) seems to bring it back to life.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
Thread kinda had me worried as I'm about to install my egt probe for my CS probably this week.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Edge has awesome customer service. Some of the best in the industry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.