First Diesel Truck Maintenance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Diesel Truck Maintenance

Finally got around to doing some maintenance on the 2004 F250 KR I recently purchased. It is my first diesel truck and second diesel vehicle. I commuted 45 miles daily so I drove a 03 Jetta TDI for 6 years.

This morning I replaced the air filter with a Motorcraft unit and then started in on the DieselSite coolant filter kit. It was a pretty straight forward install and I finished it up in about two hours. I found it easier to pull the intercooler pipe to install the aluminum tee. Plus I could look things over a little.

I needed to borrow a 1/2" ratchet from a buddy, so as I was driving home I got a call from the wife and she was telling me how water was leaking out of the water heater. My plan of finishing the maintenance was on hold for a few hours while I got some unplanned home improvement done. Did I mention I hate plumbing? After I got that completed I changed both fuel filters with the Motorcraft kit and changed the oil with T6 and a ford filter.

I have always done my own maintenance and am glad to learn more about the truck. I am still wanting to change the fluid in the front and rear differentials, flush the transmission and transfer case. The previous owner only put 56,000 and I have out about 1500 but I would prefer to start fresh with clean fluids. Does anyone have a recommendation for gear oil and fluid for the transmission? After I let the coolant filter clean things up a little I will dive into a coolant flush, egr delete and oil cooler replacement.

Last edited by mwvdub; 06-17-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 04:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
To answer your question first:

Gear oil -
Front Diff: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2035_____
Rear Diff: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2035_____

^^^^ Synthetic PLUS already has additive for LSD if your truck is equipped

Trans fluid: I stuck with the Mercron LV - It was under $6/qt from the dealer. I'm sure there are substitutes, but I didn't want to bother.

I bought my '05 F350 back in April with 136,000 on it. Seems to be well cared for but I wanted to establish a maintenance baseline with EVERYTHING. So I did just that.

Oil Change w/ Motorcraft 2016 filter
Fuel Filter (both filters)
New Coolant Filter (truck already had system installed)
Both trans filters and fluid (Motorcraft Filters are avail at Oreillys MUCH cheaper than Ford)
Transfer Case (2 1/3qt of Royal Purple MAX ATF)
I've been running Motorcraft Cetane booster religiously
New Air Filter

I bit the bullet and did the Restore/VC-9 coolant flush and switched to Zerex ELC (ZXED-1). Truck is running at 180-184* on 80* day. Changed the coolant filter again when I did the switch.

I've done all the work myself and it did cost a little bit to do it all basically at the same time. BUT -This is a truck I plan on keeping for a long time, so spending a little now so that I KNOW how many miles are on each fluid/filter is good peace of mind. ~$600 isn't that bad when you consider that peace of mind.

I've still gotta do my diffs as soon as I've got a spare $100.

One bit of advice - If you have an Advance Auto Parts near you. You can buy things like the air/fuel filters (and oil filters) ONLINE and pickup at your store. There are a ton of coupon codes listed on their site; I use them ALL the time for stuff! My air filter (factory Motorcraft) lists for $66.96 - I used coupon code "BIG25" (spend over $60, take $25 off) so my filter cost me only $41.96! Do a google search for more - Sometimes you have to be creative in how you buy things (quantity wise - separate orders to use multiple codes), but I've saved a ton doing it this way.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice Brian. That Mobil 1 looks good and I have, and like the Advance a few blocks from my house. Do you remember how much fluid I will need for the diffs?

Are both of the transmission filters internal? I would like to get those changed as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwvdub View Post
Thanks for the advice Brian. That Mobil 1 looks good and I have, and like the Advance a few blocks from my house. Do you remember how much fluid I will need for the diffs?

Are both of the transmission filters internal? I would like to get those changed as well.
I've not done my yet; I wound up breaking my foot last week and all my spare money went to the doctor bill! I'll get around to it here soon.

As for the quantity; I've heard some places say 7qts, others say 3.5qts. I'm not sure which to believe - Yes, the axles are huge, but 7qts of fluid is a LOT for a rear end.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I sold a 2004 F150 to buy the 2004 F250 that I have now and right before I traded it in, a wheel bearing seal went out and I remember buying 4 qts at the dealer to do it so I would think that 7 qts seems like a lot.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Here is a video to watch on changing the Tranny filters.

He says some weird things, but it's worth watching. The Tranny fluid is now Mercon LV. Nothing else. (it replaces Mercon SP, these can be mixed)

Automatic Transmission Service for the 6.0L Powerstroke -- POWERSTROKEHELP.COM Longevity Series
Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Also, a good place to buy filters on-line. The NTZ external filter is the same as Ford's.

Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Brian, how are you finding the motocraft cetane booster? I just started using it because I was tired of searching high and low around town for the Amsoil cetane boost.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just got my order from them last week. I was unsure about doing the trans myself, so I didn't order the trans filters.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If I drop the pan to change the internal filter and add 8-10 quarts new fluid, will I be ok or should I have a shop do a tranny flush?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.