Installing lariat gauges in XLT truck-complete writeup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Installing lariat gauges in XLT truck-complete writeup

Alright, I'll be finishing this up later this week, but for those of you that are interested, I'll be covering EVERYTHING needed to install a lariat cluster in your xlt trucks, including making sure the compass/fuel economy, and everything else in the message center works.

To do this, you need the following.

Lariat gauge cluster
Message center switch
Lariat autodimming mirror, and compass module (for my swap I'm using a 2010 mirror, but the 05-07 will be covered as well)

Attached are the wiring diagrams.

The gauge cluster has 2 plugs. We'll only be concerning ourselves with one of them, connector c220a (first picture). The difference that we see here is that the lariat cluster uses 4 pins that aren't utilized in the xlt cluster. Those pins are 18-21. Pin 18 is compass data-, 19 is compass data+, 20 is the message switch input (this pin changes the information the message center displays) and pin 21 is message center power.

The next diagram shown is for the mirror mounted compass sensor module, which is connector c909. Pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is key on power, pin 3 is compass -, and pin 4 is compass +. Pin 1 and 2 are self explanatory. Pin 3 on the compass module connects via a long wire to pin 18 on the cluster harness, and pin 4 connects to pin 19 on the cluster harness. At this point, your new gauges, should you pause to test them, display an accurate compass reading.

The final diagram is of the message center switch. pin 1 is for illumination-basically this is supplied power when you turn the headlights on. I recommend tapping into Pin 12 on the gauge cluster. Pin 2 is message center switch power. This is supplied via pin 21 on the instrument cluster. Again, very simple. Pin 3 connects to pin 20 on the cluster, and pin 4 gets grounded (like a bad stepchild!).

At this point, EVERYTHING should work as if it came installed that way. Only thing left to do is mount the message center switch, and finalize your wiring. I'll have pictures to upload for you later this week, but in the meantime you can ask any questions you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing lariat gauges in XLT truck-complete writeup-gauge-wiring.jpg   Installing lariat gauges in XLT truck-complete writeup-compass-sensor-module.jpg   Installing lariat gauges in XLT truck-complete writeup-message-center-switch.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
How are you going to get the message center to work properly without a PCM flash?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM

It already works. I just haven't run the harness I made through the truck. However everything works as it should when connected-so I guess I'm saying a PCM flash isn't necessary. I had anticipated the possibility of needing one, but EVERYTHING functions properly at this point.

I should also note that these diagrams are for a 2005. I'm sure 06-07 are similar, but If anyone would like to know, I'll look into it!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM

I am curious, and may very well attempt to find out, if the xlt cluster can be used in place of the lariat cluster-IE if it is already a part of it, just not activated as the pins are present but vacant. I'll take a look, use the XLT cluster and see if the message center displays anything.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

So you have all of the info capabilities that the lariat trucks do?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
So you have all of the info capabilities that the lariat trucks do?
That is Correct.

If there is enough interest I'll consider a write up on a digital hvac swap as well, but that one is NOT to be undertaken by anyone who is shaky with electronics. It requires complete dash removal and changing the entire heater box/blend doors and actuators.

Last edited by dazdillenger; 06-17-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
That is Correct.

If there is enough interest I'll consider a write up on a digital hvac swap as well, but that one is NOT to be undertaken by anyone who is shaky with electronics. It requires complete dash removal and changing the entire heater box/blend doors and actuators.
Just to verify. You have Compass, MPG, Eng Hours, Diag tests, and a few more that I will remember when I get home tonight.

You have the ability to reset your doorlocks and the like through the message center?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM

Not sure what you are referring to when you speak of resetting the door locks. However everything else functions as if it was factory installed. I have verified engine hours, compass direction, mileage, trip, DTE, and MPG. Although I will take some pictures, and would welcome someone running me through some function tests vs their gauges. Everything works just as it does in my other 05, which is a lariat.

Last edited by dazdillenger; 06-17-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

By doorlocks I mean the ability to set it up so your doors lock or dont lock once your put the truck in drive
Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Honestly, that is of little to no consequence to me, but I will check to verify it works (I'm sure someone else who attempts this may want that function). I mainly did it for the DTE and MPG readout.

I didn't know where to put this-If you feel it would be better to have it in another section, by all means, move it.

Last edited by dazdillenger; 06-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dazdillenger For This Useful Post:
Joeys6hoe (12-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.