weird noise from exhaust.. what is it? video included - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
weird noise from exhaust.. what is it? video included

The truck has 88k miles, NEVER had an issue, even before me, according to oasis anyways. Always starts and runs perfectly.

Sometimes though, it will make a weird noise from the exhaust when it is first started for the day. It is not every time, has done it in cold and warm weather. Once its driven a few miles it goes away. My idle isn't fluctuating at all, or at least not enough to show on the stock gauge.

Here's the vid:
VID_20110616_123148.mp4 video by DSMissed - Photobucket

I have straight pipe so it sounds like a jet but you can kinda here the weird noise coming off and on.

Any ideas of what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's gotta be something not quite running right. Maybe a bad injector? Have you changed your fuel filters? I would run some Diesel Kleen through it and take it up the highway and mash on it a few times.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 AM

I add a little Howes to the fuel every time I fill up. Also just replaced the fuel filters and changed the oil/filter only a few hundred miles ago.

I hope whatever the problem is will show itself soon because I have an extended warranty that will be running out in a few months, but I just don't know. If I get an Edge Insight monitor will it tell me the stats on each injector?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Ok, well I have a horrible ear when it comes to Internet videos. However, to me it does sound like a slight miss.

I agree with above, go after your fuel. Make sure you have good fuel and make sure you have good filters. Switch it up on the diesel additive. I ran out of my opti lub xpd and have to do about 1000 miles of driving this week/weekend. I went and got some Deisel Clean. It surely doesnt lube like my opti lube, you can actually hear the injectors are louder. However, I am in MD this week and we have seen some temps in the low 50s. It sees as if the diesel clean has helped it start better in these cooler mornings.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Ok, well I have a horrible ear when it comes to Internet videos. However, to me it does sound like a slight miss.

I agree with above, go after your fuel. Make sure you have good fuel and make sure you have good filters. Switch it up on the diesel additive. I ran out of my opti lub xpd and have to do about 1000 miles of driving this week/weekend. I went and got some Deisel Clean. It surely doesnt lube like my opti lube, you can actually hear the injectors are louder. However, I am in MD this week and we have seen some temps in the low 50s. It sees as if the diesel clean has helped it start better in these cooler mornings.
That's where the 2-cycle oil will help. I never use DK without adding a bit of 2-cycle oil into the mix.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
That's where the 2-cycle oil will help. I never use DK without adding a bit of 2-cycle oil into the mix.
Good point! I just picked up two bottles so I wasnt runing naked this week! lol I am about half way with my trip so I will stop in and get some!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:25 AM

Ok, so you guys are basically saying to add a bit of 2 cycle oil in the fuel, along with some Diesel Kleen? How much would you say to add? I have some winter DK left, I'll put that in since I'm out of Howes.

It has actually done the noise thing since I bought it last September. Like I said, not every time it cold starts, and sometimes it does it worse than others.

I sure hope this isn't the start of injector issues!! I love this truck!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:26 PM

I just got done driving it and for the first time since I owned it I mashed the pedal, and the first time I did it felt pretty doggy, but then I did it again, once in 2nd and once in 3rd and it felt like it got a little more pep to it, but could also be my imagination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.