Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Diff Fluid Change

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  bfrank81 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to swap the fluid in the front and rear diffs. What should the torque be on the bolts when I put the cover back?

Thanks!

#7 ·
How do I know which one I have? Or is one the rear and the other the front... :dunno:

As for the drain plug ohh yea it's nice. I had a Nissan Titan and it had a drain plugs in both axles and it was sweet. Swapping out the fluid was very easy.

#5 ·
Yes, I have used those before. But for the common man, why can't they just put a drain plug in? I know it's nice to remove the cover to check wear and stuff, but I bet fluids would get changed much more often if there was a drain. I know mine would...

#6 ·
Oh, that is a good idea! I have one I use to change boat oil. I will use that!

#9 ·
Drill a hole in the cover.grind off paint, weld a nut on the outside then put a bolt in with a washer and some silicone. I did the same on my old chevy' for a filler also.

#13 ·
Yea my problem with that solution is that it will still leave a good bit of the old oil in the diff along with any metal shavings. To me that is not worth the trouble when I can just pop off the cover and get all that junk out.

My Titan had a drain plug in the center of the bottom. It looked like the bottom of the an oil drain pan. Worked great!

#15 ·
What fluid should I use. I'm guessing a synthetic?

#16 ·
Mobil1 makes a 75w-90 for the front and a 75w-140 for the rear axle. It is a synthetic that comes WITH the additives for the LSD if your truck is equipped. Price is like $11 for the 90 and $19 for the 140. When I do mine, that's what I'll be using.

#21 ·
I completed the fluid change for both axles this weekend. Laying up underneath the truck with it on ramps makes for a tough job. But I'm glad I completed it. I ended up going to the local Ford dealer and buying the Motorcraft LSD fluid and putting that in the rear along with the Amsoil oil.

#22 ·
how much fluid do you need to buy to do both changes if i use the mobil1 synthetic

#23 ·
I used the recommendation from Amsoil.com. I think it was 7 pints for the rear and 6.4 for the front. In both diffs I found when I got to the recommended amount just a little started to come back out of the fill plug. I let it drip for a bit and then capped it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.