what to tune for gas mileage??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what to tune for gas mileage???

Hello all, I purchased my 2003 truck last summer and then of course did my research (ooops). I'm currently getting around 17 mpgs and with diesel being well over $4 a gallon I'd like better. My problem is I've read quite a bit about tuning these 6.0's up and then blowing them up! I know there are TONS of tuners, modules, chips etc. But what can I do to it to make it reliable and more efficient. More power would be great, but I'm not too concerned about that, reliability and efficiency is what I want. Without spending a fortune of course.

Thanks in advance, Patrick...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Gotta be careful with tuners on stock trucks.. 17mpg is better than most of the truck I have been in. SCT is the best product for 6.0L. Maybe im off base with the mpg, thats just what Ive seen. I see about 13-15mpg
Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the ORG by the way
Old 06-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plpwheeler View Post
Hello all, I purchased my 2003 truck last summer and then of course did my research (ooops). I'm currently getting around 17 mpgs and with diesel being well over $4 a gallon I'd like better. My problem is I've read quite a bit about tuning these 6.0's up and then blowing them up! I know there are TONS of tuners, modules, chips etc. But what can I do to it to make it reliable and more efficient. More power would be great, but I'm not too concerned about that, reliability and efficiency is what I want. Without spending a fortune of course.

Thanks in advance, Patrick...
17mpg is pretty darn good. I am at 13-14mpg range with 50/50 mix of highway and city. I am in the 15-16mpg when only doing highway.

I have a stock truck for the most part, and just got MKM econonmy tune on the SCTx3 and have seen an immeidate 1.5-2mpg improvement on mileage. Still wouldn't touch what your getting w/o buying any tunes.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Is that 17 highway only or mixed? When trying to get good mileage on my 2003, I get about 21.6 straight highway. Around town it's down to 15
Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Unfortunately, that is probably the best your going to do. You MAY see an increase of 1 or 2 MPG's with a tune. However, I wouldn't count on it. These trucks just aren't made for fuel mileage. The best I ever saw was 19mpg's, but I averaged around 16.

If you really want good fuel mileage, find yourself a small diesel car. My 2002 VW gets around 48-51mpg
Old 06-16-2011, 12:14 PM

On my FX4 I used to get around 15. I'm now getting 18. That's about as good as you're going to do on a stock 6.0.

Best tune for mileage on a 6.0 is to recalibrate your right foot. You need to get on the accelerator every now and then to loosen up the turbo, but that only needs to happen every so often, not every stop sign.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle B View Post
Best tune for mileage on a 6.0 is to recalibrate your right foot. You need to get on the accelerator every now and then to loosen up the turbo, but that only needs to happen every so often, not every stop sign.
oh maybe thats why I get such crappy mileage, my right foot needs recalibrated. My 03 f350 has only been averaging about 12-13
Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle B View Post
You need to get on the accelerator every now and then to loosen up the turbo, but that only needs to happen every so often, not every stop sign.
Hmmm..... Not every stop sign?
So that's what I am doing wrong!

Shawn
Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Best tune for mileage on a 6.0 is to recalibrate your right foot. You need to get on the accelerator every now and then to loosen up the turbo, but that only needs to happen every so often, not every stop sign.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the every stop sign method, though good mileage would be great,but... I didnt buy a 1 ton truck for efficiency
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 upgrades, mileage, mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.