AC Question sounds like a leak after I shut the truck off. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC Question sounds like a leak after I shut the truck off.

Like the title states after I shut the truck off I opened the hood to check my oil and coolant level and there was a his coming from the AC components. It still blows cold so I don't think I am looking Freon but I have never heard this before. Thank for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is normal. Enjoy your cool truck. You are hearing the residual pressure in the high pressure side going through the metering device into the low pressure side of the system. Oh, ya don't worry about the little puddle of fresh water under the passanger side of the truck, thats normal too.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 PM

Yeap, thats right. its just the system equalizing out.

Your house does the same thing if you go outside and listen to it.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:53 PM

you guys seem to know about a/c, How cold should it be in 100 degree weather?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 PM

On high-idle or moving down the highway mine will freeze you out.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=HAM_RADIO_MAN;2540786]On high-idle or moving down the highway mine will freeze you out.[/QUO whats is it at when your idling? and how did you grt it that cold
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
On high-idle or moving down the highway mine will freeze you out.
I have an Excursion with front and rear A/C. Cruising down the freeway with the A/C to the max you better have a good winter coat!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM

My vent temp is about 40 deg. For many different reasons you can’t expect stellar performance at idle. There is less air to cool the condenser and the compressor isn’t moving as much Freon. Make sure you wash the bugs and crud out of the condenser on your truck and house for that matter. A clean condenser equals a happy compressor. I don’t think you have a cabin air filter , but if you do make sure that’s in good condition. You will need to have the correct amount of Freon in your truck. The temp scale on the gauges tells you roughly what temperature the Freon is evaporating and condensing at. You want your evaporator to be a little above freezing say 33-36 degrees as a general rule your condensing temp should be 30 to 40 degrees above the outdoor temp. I would suggest taking these measurements at high Idle because that engine speed is closer to the real world operation condition of your tuck. So, that means now is a great time to finally do that high idle mod. These are rule of thumb generalizations and I am sure all the professional ac guys out there are shrieking in horror. I am a refrigeration mechanic so I know that I have only touched on the high spots, but the idea here is to give the shade tree guys a fighting chance to stay cool without blowing their truck up. One very important thing to know is, if your system is empty you must use a quality vacuum pump to remove the air before you recharge. If you don’t you will have no cooling sky-high head pressure and wonder why? Ok, so use a vacuum pump. Take 15 min with Google and learn how a basic refrigeration cyle works if you don't already know and that will clear up a lot of the smoke and majic. Stay cool!!

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 06-15-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: attempt to fix some of my poor use of english language and spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.