Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

If I try Rev-X will I have to Con't using?

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Term3 
#1 ·
Just as the Title states, also is it worth it? quite expensive...

#3 ·
Everytime I see one of your replies somewhere I stop and check out your truck LOL

#5 ·
So I'm guessin its like when folks start using high mileage oil, you have to continue to use it because of the detergents in it?

#7 ·
I agree, I always check out Pigs truck. But anyway, I just ordered 3 bottles. I will do one when I change my oil next week. I will do it again when it starts getting cold out. I dont see any reason why sticking with it is a must. I know there are a lot of people that think once you start with something in oil you must stay. Truly, I dont believe in that at all. I have a Mustang that when I got it in the 90's, I always ran slick 50, then I went to sythetic, then I switch back and forth etc. The motor has well over 100, has seen a lot of NOS, slicks, and many RPMs. No issues.

Sorry for getting off there for a bit. But yes, I would assume you dont need to stick with it!

DEESLVRGN - THANK YOU for what you are doing for our country! Awesome man!

#8 ·
No you do not need to continue to use it as long as you use a quality full synthetic oil.

And by quality oil I do not mean Rotella

#9 ·
Wish I could find other stuff local! Anyone ever have oil shipped?

#10 ·
I just did a switch to Rotella T6 last week, not all diesel owners are wealthy so I guess we gotta use what we can, thats why I was wondering if I had to regularly use it or if I could use it every other maybe?

#20 · (Edited)
I just recently switched to T-6 as well, for my first change after buying the truck, I used Rotella T-5, 10W-30 semi-syn with two bottles of Rev-X. My engine ran amazing, injectors quieted, started better cold, and best of all after 5K miles the oil and filter looked CLEAN, the oil was still transparent, and my filter was still yellow, like new. So far the T-6 runs just as quiet, maybe quieter and smoother, and I'm not using Rev-X this time, I figure if the Rev-X did it's job, my injectors are clean, I'll use synthetic and keep them clean. BTW, I've used T-6 in my sportbikes for years, motorcycles LOVE the stuff! I dump the oil in my diesel at 5K miles, and in my bikes, 3K miles.

You must understand the prior owner used 15w-40 dino oil as recommended by Ford. When I did my EGR delete and oil cooler that oil and filter were as black as a tar patch, in fact it took a week to get the oil stain out of my hands. My opinion, the Rotella is good stuff for the money, I've seen many Blackstone oil analysis' from other forum members that confirm it. I think I won't need to continue using REV-X, I'll just wait and see this winter. But I was easily starting in the teens with no block heater after using Rev-X.

"It is true that ROTELLA T Synthetic is Group III (not PAO) based, but you must keep in mind that not all Group III base oils are created equal. ROTELLA T Synthetic is made with Shell's XHVI base oil, which unlike other Group IIIs does not begin as distilled crude oil, hence of all Group III base oils, XHVI is truly the only one that can legitimately be called "synthetic." XHVI is a wax isomerate, meaning that it is made from the slack wax removed from distilled crude in normal solvent dewaxing. This slack wax is catalytically transformed (isomerized) and hydrofinished into a chemically pure base oil which rivals PAO in virtually every category. There are other "synthetic" oils out there based on Group III, but Shell's is unique in that it uses XHVI base oil. Chevron and Petro-Canada produce Group III base oils that come close to XHVI, but even though these oils are all hydroprocessed and utilize the same type of isomerization technology employed in the making of XHVI, they are not the same thing. Only XHVI is made from pure petroleum slack wax and its CAS number is 92026-09-4. The CAS number for the more typical all-hydroprocessed Group III base oils is 64742-54-7. If you want to know what your "synthetic" oil is made from, take a look at the MSDS and look for these numbers. (The CAS number for PAO is 68037-01-4).

In brief, don't be so quick to dismiss Rotella T Synthetic as just another "synthetic pretender." It's made with the same base oil as Shell's Helix Ultra, and everytime you see Ferrari win a Formula 1 race, that's the oil in the engine."

#11 ·
I did notice an overall difference with the T6 switch, I dont have injector issues at the moment but I dont want them!!

#14 ·
#15 ·
I thought after I posted, found it! But anyway, thanks! Hey Dave, how often are you changing? Did you have it analyzed?

#16 ·
Which one are you running as well?

#17 ·
#19 ·
Rev X flat out works... we use it in three of our department vehicles and it cleared up stiction on two of them. we just put it in the other for prevention. When i had my 05 i used it in every oil change. cant say if it worked or not but i never had stiction issues with it in there.

#21 ·
to be completely honest with you I was shocked the first time I changed my valvoline premium blue extreme. It was only a 4000 mile interval but I've never seen diesel oil come out that clean. like you said the filter still had a yellow tint to it.

#22 ·
Slack wax? We always called it paraffins. :) TomAto, tomAHto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.