turbo surge/flutter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo surge/flutter

this weekend i rebuilt my oil cooler, flushed colant, egr delete and new stc fitting in my truck. all went smooth and truck seems to be acting completely normal except for i seem to have some compressor surge now. performance mods are sct with srl tune, straight pipe and cold air intake. i have never had any surge until today when i got it all back together. on my turbo mustang i run a bov to get rid of it,how do you get rid of it on a 6.0? is it bad? i know on engines with a throttle body you dont want it because its hard on the turbo. could i have put something back together wrong, not sure why it would all he sudden start? any help would be gretly appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When you did the EGR cooler delete, did you leave the EGR valve plugged in electrically?

Last edited by Lilpooh; 06-14-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Misread sig
Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM

No. Egr valve is out and wire is just there. Does this make a difference. Tune I have turns the egr off
Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

I have the same problem after EGR delete also. Not noticeable on stock tune, but with a performance tune is loaded it flutters pretty bad.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Same problem here with exact mods as OP
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Read posts #7 & 15, click the link on these posts. Unplugging the EGR valve might cause issues with other functions on the motor. If you still have the valve, it might be worth a shot to plug it back in and tie up to the side. Please report back if it made a difference.
SCT Tuner repace need for EGR delete?

You also might need a GOOD code reader to pull the hard codes (SCT not a good code reader). Or get a hold of a good scan tool to see what is happening when fluttering.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM

So if reading this right, if you have an 06/07 truck with new flashes from ford and and egr delete and block off plate, this may cause fan and boost problems? So I guess I can try bolting andplugging the egr valve back in to see if this fixes my issue. I tried pulling codes with the sct and I have none, nore do I have a light. This is just confuseing but ill give it a try. Will report back with findings
Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
So if reading this right, if you have an 06/07 truck with new flashes from ford and and egr delete and block off plate, this may cause fan and boost problems? So I guess I can try bolting andplugging the egr valve back in to see if this fixes my issue. I tried pulling codes with the sct and I have none, nore do I have a light. This is just confuseing but ill give it a try. Will report back with findings
From my understanding, no one has figured out what year/stradegy is effected by the EGR valve being unplugged, so your better off just plugging it back in. Without a good scan tool, you'll never know it the fan is reaching full rpm.

The SCT isn't a good code reader. Some codes are won't throw a CEL. Not only are their "P" codes, but also U,B,C codes that alot of code readers won't read.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Unplugging the EGR valve may also limit your boost to 20 psi. I think it is a failsafe written into the PCM and isn't specific to a strategy since it can't seem to be overwritten with custom tuning.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 AM

egr valve is cleaned, back in and plugged up (is there a gasket or o-ring that goes between the valve and the intake? cant remember). so i took my drive to work this morning and the first time i got on it it sounded like it surged again. after driving a little longer i did it again and it seemed fine and continued to seem fine. im not sure if it feels down on power but it still blows the tires off, 37's.
one more question, if having the egr unplugged did throw a code but my sct did not read it or the cel did not come on do i still have to get it cleared or am i fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.