Holy Crap! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Holy Crap!

Ok, I just bought an 06....I know I want to start the "bullet proofing" process. Soooo, where do I start? I've read the "Bullet Proofing" Sticky but I'm still a little lost. This is my first diesel but I'm used to doing all my own work and hoping to keep that up. Anyway, I guess I'm just going to start compiling all the parts in that sticky and do it all at once...right? Is there something I should do "right now"...something that cant wait?

Here's what I got out of this so far:
Replace Head bolts (ARP)
Swap to ELC, add Coolant filter
Install BulletProof EGR, clean egr valve
Install BulletProof Oil cooler
Update fuel pressure regulator spring
Update turbo oil drain tube
Replace stc fitting, stand pipes and dummy plugs
Install Edge Insight monitor

What is a 6.4 Banjo Bolt and what is it used for?

Did I forget anything?

Are there DIY write ups on how to do this stuff?

Thanks in advance to any help you guys can give. I look forward to learning from all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sent you a pm.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Pretty good list. Look at my e-sig, that is what I have done to bullet proof. The cool thing about working with cars, trucks, boats, anything with a motor. You can read, get peoples opinions and then use your common sense. Common sense will help make anything last a long time! I have read everything I possibly could about this motor. When I first got it, I thought there was too much boost and that is what was lifting heads so I started with ARP studs. If started over, here is what I would do.

In order of importance:
1. Gauges. Something like an Edge Insight or the other edges will give you all the readings you need. I have an older Edge and it gives everything you need except I cannot read my FICM voltage. The good news, it only take 5 minutes to check your FICM volts.
2. Coolant. If you find that your temps are ok (at operating temp, your oil is no more than 15* over your coolant temp). I have found that really healthy oil coolers are within 0-5* normal driving. I run about 7-9 degrees different in high 80 temps towing about 6,000. Driving around town I am a few degrees apart. Go down a hill my oil and coolant will both sit at 190. So your cooler is ok, go ahead and do a chemical flush. I will save your eyes, there are many write ups about it. You will find Mitch (greensvt) has a great write up in his e-sig! Restore, Restore Plus or Fords VC9 clean your system. Then find yourself a good ELC coolant. Find CAT-1 rated.
3. Coolant filter. Keeps the crap and sand filtered!
4. EGR cooler. Learn what it does and how it works. People will think you unplug and your problem goes away. Not true, it is your egr cooler that fails. If you can, get a delete. If you have emissions, go for a bullet proof kit.

What happens is our gold coolant is a form of ELC. However it is not good on our HIGH temps for 100k miles like stated. It breaks down. Combine that with the sand in the motor from casting. It will start to clog your oil cooler. Limits the amount of coolant. After your oil cooler you have your EGR cooler. Well, you have been blocked so that cooler is REALLY HOT from exhaust gasses. Once the coolant makes its way through, it hits that HOT cooler and ruptures the EGR cooler. The EGR cooler breaks, coolant goes in, steam washes and all the pressure will lift a head and blow a gasket.

So that is a crash course in what happens. Studs are GREAT insurance but if you take care of all above, you limit the issues.

On top of this I would run a synthetic oil and lube your fuel. I run 5/40 Rotella T6 which is not the best oil you can get but I get it cheap and it is better than dino 15/40. I also run opti Lube XPD on the fuel side. It keeps the injectors lubed, it’s a cetane booster and an anti Gel.

The stc fitting is a good idea as well. Hope this helps. Again, this is one guy giving you his opinion. But if you knew me, I read, read, read and go OCD on anything I touch! lol

Last edited by Galaxie; 06-13-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
...I read, read, read and go OCD on anything I touch! lol
I resemble that remark! lol

Like Galaxie said, get something to monitor your temps. See where you're at and read, read, read. There is a ton of info on here and a lot of guys that can and will help with anything you need. The '05 Ex is my first diesel as well and I've got it torn apart but with the help of the ORG I'm not the least bit scared...

most of the time!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good thread. I'm new to my 6.0 also and there's alot of good stuff here and answer to questions I've been thinking about also. Gonna change my oil tomorrow and then start on my bulletproofing
Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, I've got an Insight CTS on the way.

Now I'm torn between deleting the EGR or getting the BulletProof cooler. I'm in the Coast Guard and I don't have much choice as to where I live. It's possible that I will get stationed in an emissions state. Is it worth deleting it and IF I end up in an emissions state, "un-deleting"....if that's possible?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
Thanks for the info guys, I've got an Insight CTS on the way.

Now I'm torn between deleting the EGR or getting the BulletProof cooler. I'm in the Coast Guard and I don't have much choice as to where I live. It's possible that I will get stationed in an emissions state. Is it worth deleting it and IF I end up in an emissions state, "un-deleting"....if that's possible?
In that case just bullet-proof it. No point in having to take it in and out multiple times.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's what I was thinking too.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just get the Bulletproof egr cooler and you won't have to worry about it. First link in my sig makes a good read for newbies.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I agree. If there is ANY chance of getting stationed in a location that has emissions, get the BulletProof EGR cooler. It sounds like you have a lot of great advice so far in this thread. Congrats on the truck and welcome to the club!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.