EOT and ECT Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT and ECT Questions

Using the a CTS to monitor everything. The Delta starts out close, ECT is then about 16 degrees higher and then ends up a 2 - 6 degree delta in the high 180's
with the EOT higher than the ECT? Sound about right? Do I need to let it warm up a bit longer at IDLE so that I don't have the initial big delta?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Takes a while to get everything up to temp. In the mornings I drive 6-7 miles before I get to even 160 ECT.

Once at operating temps. I'm at 188-190* ECT and My EOT is running about 195-197*

Once at these temps. then you run at highway speeds to find your true deltas.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Deltas mean nothing until you are warmed up to normal operating temp.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Deltas mean nothing until you are warmed up to normal operating temp.
That's what I was hoping. Will be on interstate for awhile tomorrow and will see how it looks - thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1 View Post
That's what I was hoping. Will be on interstate for awhile tomorrow and will see how it looks - thanks
Fully warmed up ECT at around 190* cruising steadily at 65 mph with no load. That is when you check the delta. It will typically be under 10*. If it is more than that don't panic, just keep an eye on it. Over time if it starts creeping higher plan to do a complete flush and cleaning and replace the oil cooler when it hits 15*.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Fully warmed up ECT at around 190* cruising steadily at 65 mph with no load. That is when you check the delta. It will typically be under 10*. If it is more than that don't panic, just keep an eye on it. Over time if it starts creeping higher plan to do a complete flush and cleaning and replace the oil cooler when it hits 15*.
After warming up and at 70mph for about a half hour today, ECT stayed within a degree of 190 and EOT was 13-14 degrees higher. Dropped to 9-10 degrees delta when around 60 mph on the last 30 miles of my trip. Should I go ahead and have oil cooler replaced? Did a flush with no restore about a month ago, but didn't have my cts yet

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

On warm up, your coolant temp will always come up faster than the oil. The fact that your oil cooled down while you were still running 60 makes me pretty comfortable that your cooler is working. The fact that you were 13-14 at 70 isn't too bad. People use 65 as a reference speed. At 65 on very hot days in mine I'll have around a 10 degree delta, but if I'm running 70-80 its up about 12-13, and I was kicking down I-95 for over an hour recently on a 100 degree day with my delta staying 14-15. Everytime I slowed down the delta dropped, but who wants to slow down on a 600 mile run....
Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 PM

When running at 65 MPH, I typically see about a 12-15* delta between ECT and EOT. Drop back to 60MPH and she drops comfortably to single digits for the delta. I also have to keep in mind that I have a 4.10 gear set, CC, DRW, LB and carry a loaded fuel porta tank in the bed for the tractors. My EGR and Oil coolers are new and I'm running ELC.

This past weekend while hauling the 16k# 5er, I was hitting 200 to 215 (sometimes 221ish on ECT) and the EOTs ran within 15* delta most of the time (sometimes got to 18-19* but would drop back).
Old 06-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1 View Post
After warming up and at 70mph for about a half hour today, ECT stayed within a degree of 190 and EOT was 13-14 degrees higher. Dropped to 9-10 degrees delta when around 60 mph on the last 30 miles of my trip. Should I go ahead and have oil cooler replaced? Did a flush with no restore about a month ago, but didn't have my cts yet

Thanks
You are just right there on the edge. If it was me, I would do a flush with a lot of water a LOT. I would get a coolant filter and switch over to an ELC. The ELC will clean and the fitler will filter. I think a full chemical flush might plug you up.

Again, this is what I would do. Doesnt mean it is correct or incorrect but it makes sense.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM

I fully agree with Galaxie, you are going to play it safe and wise to do the coolant drain and refill with ELC.
After I took my plugged cooler from the truck last fall there was gold sludge plugging it. I saw it when I cut it off. This spring I looked at it again and the sluge was not there, for some reason it just dried out. And I was able to blow through the water passages without resistance.
I now regret having just done a coolant drain and refill instead of the cleanup that dummped all the s..t in the cooler.
So now I help my friends in not doing the same mistakes I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.