2005 6.0 lost power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 lost power

I have a 05 Excursion 6.0 that has lost power. I was driving along and when I to a stop then went to accelerate I noticed somthing was wrong. No Power! It took 2-3 times longer to get up to speed than normally. I changed fuel filters, air filter, oil, and oil filter today and no change. They were all due so might as well start with them. I have 140,000 on it and this is the first issue I've had. I have been reading on this forum and will be cleaning the EGR tomorrow. If this is not the problem, I will be looking into how to find out if its turbo vanes sticking as from what I an reading my be the problem. Other than the loss of power I have no other issues, no smoke, no abnormal noise, nothing. Any help or thoughts on what may be going on will be greatly appreciated. Oh, this truck is completely stock. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 PM

what kind of boost numbers are you getting at WOT?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 AM

The truck is completely stock, no boost gauges, so I don't know. What does WOT stand for? Also, can the turbo vanes go from not sticking to sticking when stopping at a stop sign? I read somewhere that sticking vanes is caused by a truck sitting for a long time. This is my wife's daily driver, it never sits, and she always drivers like she's in a race.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 AM

I thought all 05s had a boost gauge..WOT=Wide Open Throttle..
Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 AM
information regurgitator

The stock gauge is a piece of crap, but its there.

You should have an electronic monitor on that engine just to watch the EOT (engine oil temp) and ECT (Engine Oil Temp) if no other parameter. Those are the two vital readings you should know. That electronic gauge will pay for itself the very first time you save yourself from the typical EGR/oil cooler failure.
Scangauge2 is fairly inexpensive ($165), its even available at Autozone.

The turbo vanes can stick from a build up of soot in the exhaust side. That is where the vanes are. If the wife is not using cetane boost in every tank of fuel and lets it idle for extended periods of time, it could be the "sticking vanes" issue.
Clean the EGR valve and take a peek in the hole. Even better would be to park the truck on an incline (nose down), pull the egr valve and clean it but don't reinstall it, cover the hole and let it sit like that for 5 or 6 hours. After that period of time has passed, look for any moisture inside the intake hole. That would point to a leaky EGR cooler. The EGR cooler failure would send coolant into the exhaust side of the turbo and mix with the soot. That gunk will make the vanes sticky. You may not even notice it if the EGR cooler has failed and just hasn't failed to the point of GUSHING coolant.
I don't want to freak you out, but there is the chance that this is the reason.

There are also a few other things you can check/clean that are monitored by the PCM to control the turbo.
First is the MAP sensor hose/nipple. The rubber hose that comes off the intake and goes towards the passenger side of the truck (to the top of the HVAC box to be exact) is the MAP sensor hose. Remove the hose from both the sensor (on top of the HVAC box) and from the intake. Check that hose for any pinholes or cracks that may be there from age. Replace if you find anything. Check to see if the hose is clear. Also, check the nipple on the intake. Poke something down into the nipple (that can not drop down into the intake) to make sure that it is open.
Next is the EP sensor. 05 Excursion has the 04 engine I believe. There are two locations that this sensor is located depending on the year. I THINK your EP sensor is on a bracket at the thermostat housing. Its a sensor that sits on top of a stainless steel tube (about the size of a brake line). Use two wrenches to remove the sensor from the tube (one on the tube, one on the sensor). You just want to brush the crud off the sensor, but you want to make sure that the tube is not plugged. Use tiewire and feed it down in the tube. That tube just goes to the exhaust manifold on the drivers side so there is nothing in there that your going to break by pushing a piece of wire down into it. If you can't locate any tie wire, you might be able to use brake cleaner.
If you do not see that sensor at the thermostat housing, it will be on the drivers side, under the degas bottle on the front FICM bracket at the valve cover.

If you clean and check the EGR valve, MAP hose/nipple and the EP sensor and ther is no change...post back.

EGR valve cleaning link

If your interested in tackling turbo cleaning. You should purchase the turbo hardware kit (a whopping 8 bucks). It has the o-rings for the drain tube and the gasket for the oil supply line and new turbo mounting bolts. You can also get a kit for "turbo reconditioning."
Heres a link to turbo cleaning

As an afterthought to that long post above: You are using Motorcraft filters, right? That is a requirement and not a suggestion.
It is suggested that you run a full synthetic oil versus the "dino" oils. Long explanations for both.....not gonna type it all out if you already know this.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 06-13-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 AM

No boost gauge on my Excursion. I am using Motorcraft fuel and oil filters, air is a Fram. Thanks for all the info. The wife does let the engine idle quit a bit.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Chapter Director

Excessive idling on a 6.0 is not a wise thing to continue. It clogs EVERYTHING on the intake with soot including your turbo. I am betting hard cash your vanes are sticking from coking or wet dieseling (again from excessive idling). Look up on the forum on how to clean a 6.0 turbo.

I would advise you to ask your wife to lay off on the excessive idling, it is not an old freightliner...
Old 06-17-2011, 04:48 PM

I cleaned the EGR and EP, blew the EP tube out with air gun. No change. Had my neighbor who is a Ford service adviser show me where the Map is, I could not find it. I will clean it tomorrow. He thinks its the fuel pump, good news he does not think it is the turbo. Looks like I will be learning to test the fuel pump.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Cleaned the MAP out and no change. I removed the fuel bowl cover and filter. I noticed that the fuel would drain out. I guess back to the tank. Is this normal. Also watched the bowl fill with fuel when turn the key to on. It takes 6-8 seconds to fill the bowl, no filter in place. Is this normal. I will be getting the fittings to plump a pressure gauge to the test port on the filter bowl tomorrow. Any thoughts on the above?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I lost power like that a couple weeks ago and it was the fuel pump. Get the whole fuel pump assembly, it costs more but it has an update that deletes the fuel heater. It has been linked to corrosion in the hfcm (fuel pump assembly). When you get the new assembly also ask about the updated harness, it is pretty cheap and you then don't have connectors hanging under your excursion.
You really need to get something to monitor your Excursion! I have an Edge Insight CS, it monitors many of the 6.0's vitals.

Edit

For those who don't know he excursion well, an 05 has 04 interior (no boost gauge) and suspension. Depending on the build date it very well can have an 04 motor. Mine has an 05 build date motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.