Coolant Flush Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Coolant Flush Advice

Well I'm seeing a 15-17* delta between the EOT and ECT. I can't afford the down time with the truck right now to change out the oil cooler and bulletproof it. So would flushing with Restore and Restore+ be a bad idea right now? I'm also putting on a coolant filter.

Would there be any point to just flushing out the ford gold junk and putting in ELC or would it just be a waste? Should I wait on the ELC until I can flush the system with chemicals and change the oil cooler, which could be 1-2 months down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have read on here that if you flush it you should pretty much plan for replacing the cooler a few weeks after.
So if what I am reading on here is correct your ECT and EOT #s may be right back to 15-17* in a months time.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 PM

I just did mine. The delta in temperatures will get worse after using restore and DC-9. I recon the junk it loosens up goes strait to the oil cooler. If I was you I'd consider flushing with just distilled water only. Then when you have time for downtime use the restore and DC-9. I have a free 1/2 gallon of restore if anyone is near Decatur, Al.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Ya just doing a distilled flush is a good idea if you dont want to take a chance on having your trk down for a new oil cooler. Altought I did a restore and VC9 flush and my oil cooler isnt clogged BUT I didnt have a way to check my deltas before I did the flush so my system may have been clean to start with. Now my deltas are no more then 4-5 but when we had those 98 degree days and humid I did reach a 10 delta in stop and go traffic.
But ya just do a distilled flush and change to a ELC coolant for now.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
Ya just doing a distilled flush is a good idea if you dont want to take a chance on having your trk down for a new oil cooler. Altought I did a restore and VC9 flush and my oil cooler isnt clogged BUT I didnt have a way to check my deltas before I did the flush so my system may have been clean to start with. Now my deltas are no more then 4-5 but when we had those 98 degree days and humid I did reach a 10 delta in stop and go traffic.
But ya just do a distilled flush and change to a ELC coolant for now.
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll just go with the distilled water and ELC for now.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Flushing will not fix a clogged oil cooler. You might try a revers flush going through the coolant return line on the intake. I have read where that helped some but have not verified it helps personally.

The only sure fix for a clogged oil cooler is to rebuild it.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjeffp2000 View Post
I have a free 1/2 gallon of restore if anyone is near Decatur, Al.
Ditto - I've got 1/2gal of Restore as well; Anyone need some around Knoxville, TN?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Personally (and I did), I would flush AND reverse flush the oil cooler. There are a lot of people having issues after the flush and the *speculation* is that stuff is breaking loose and clogging the oil cooler. So if that's the case, reverse flush it out of there. Case in point. I replaced my oil cooler last year and used G-05 coolant. Putting almost 20,000 miles on the truck, my ECT / EOT's got a little further apart this year. It was time to remove the G-05 and flush it all out. In the end with doing the reverse oil cooler flush, my delta went back to EXACTLY what it was when my oil cooler was replaced last year. I consider that flush a complete success BUT I spent considerable time reverse flushing the oil cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.