BIG Problem changing fuel filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry BIG Problem changing fuel filters

So I planned to change both my oil and fuel filters today. I bought the truck used (April 2010) and this is the first time I was going to change the fuel filters (10K miles). So I got all my supplies and changed the oil first...all was well. So on to changing the fuel filters.

Now this is where my big problem arrived. I crawled under the truck to open the drain plug and BOOM!!!! the plug is totally stripped!!!!! I mean stripped as in it is bascially a perfect circle and it appears who ever owned the truck before me tried to cut some nothces in the plug and had very little success.

Any ideas of how to possibly get this giant F-up out? My first thought was I am going to have to replace the entire filter assembly that is how bad it looks to me. So please if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was never able to get my drain plug open until very recently so i couldnt drain the water. You can still change the filter, just go slow taking the fuel filter cap off and make sure you wash down the frame rail afterwards.

That still sucks though man, and I hate when people do that crap to vehicles
Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Get an oversized torx bit that mounts in a 1/2" drive socket and pound it in there with a hammer. Then, put the 1/2" drive wrench in there and try to loosen it.

As far as a replacement, they have an updated part that has a knurled knob (thumb screw) that isn't recessed, so you can loosen it up by hand.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 AM

You can buy just the cover that the cap goes into, I actually stripped the threads just trying to snug the plug up one time when changing my filter. It is expensive though, right around $100 but it comes with the whole cover and new plug. All you have to do is disconnect the four fuel lines and unscrew the four screws and put the new one on. It comes with new screws and o-ring to seal it up tight. I would recommend if you get the new one use nothing but a hand held allen wrench to loosen or tighten it back.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 AM

JB Weld an allen key to it and let it set. After removal get yourself a "water seperator drain plug upgrade".

DTS Articles - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Has anyone swapped the OEM water separator drain plug with a valve, similar to the Fumoto oil drain valve?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 PM
information regurgitator

This one is easy to tighten using hand pressure, but also has the allen head...just in case you find your inner Hercules when putting it on.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I was going to go ahead and change the filters today even though my drain plug is stripped. Only to my surprise the person who put the top filter on must have used Hulk to put the plastic cap back on.

Even using the right socket (24MM) the damn thing wouldn't budge and actually started to strip it. So I figured heck I can use a 1/2 square drive to turn it.....nope it just broke some plastic off the cap.

Guess I will be dropping the truck off at a dealer and have them fix this nonsense. Why do some people need to go buck *** wild putting stuff on? Also why do motor companies continue to use cheap platic caps on 40K plus vehicles? Can we get some billet?

I can't believe how stupid this has turned out to be....
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM

there are billet replacement caps you speak off but they are going to cost you. just sit back yell at your truck for a while and get back under the hood you can do it..
Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM

You can try an easy out on the water seperator drain plug. They usually work pretty good. The threads on the easy out are backward. Just screw it in to the stripped hole turning counter clockwise. When it starts getting tight it should star backing the plug out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.