Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Another white smoke story

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  jhmason21 
#1 ·
I've looked at several threads on white smoke, no one has described my problem. So it started today, drove 45 minutes north of Nashville to a wedding. truck sat about 2.5 hours. Went to leave started it up, a whiteish smoke was exiting the tail pipe, not like cold in winter white haze, a good deal. My ECT and EOT were already reading above 170*, as it's 90* down here. So went to back out of the parking spot, still there. After I got onto the street I acceled briskly, never over 2500RPMs, clears up until I get out of it, then a blip of white smoke happens. Clears up completely after 5-10 minutes. I know white smoke = coolant eventually HG.

So is it EGR cooler? or FICM going bad? I'll check my FICM voltage tomorrow, didn't learn it could be bad FICM til I read up on it. I'll also try to get a video tomorrow if it does the same.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
Yea I will do the smell test tomorrow morning. I also flushed with restore and restore+ and replaced with an ELC. ECT and EOT are always between 4-8*

#4 ·
Alright guys I can't figure it out. I started it cold this morning, nothing. Drove it for 30 minutes until it was good and hot, never smoked. Let it sit for a couple of hours, started again, no smoke. Coolant level looks ok, oil looks clean. FICM voltage was 48. Should I take it in for a look over and compression test? Will I get a DTC for a bad EGR cooler?

#7 ·
154,xxx just changed the oil 500 miles ago to Rotella T6 5w40, and no bypass filter. That's what mine is doing. Especially that puff of smoke after you bump the throttle. Did you try RevX? How long did you let the problem go before fixing?

#8 ·
I let it go a little while because I knew it wasn't HG's or EGR as there was no puking or loss of coolant. Plus, I was in the middle of moving from AZ to el paso tx and really couldn't shut it down for a couple bad injectors. Finally took it in about 1500 miles later and got the injectors replaced under warranty. Once injectors get to that level, they usually need replacement. Rev-X can work but is more effective for earlier symptoms.

After this, I ended up getting a bypass filter and am now using T6 every 3,000. Really want this truck to last 300,000+ and keeping the oil and coolant clean is the best way to start.

#9 ·
Did it smoke everyday once it started? I guess I'll go ahead a take it in, thanks man for your help, makes me feel better it's probably not a HG.

And Thanks for your service, your video is bad fuugin asss!!:flag:

#12 ·
So started the truck this morning, no real smoke. Then this afternoon started it back up, thicker white smoke was pouring out. Couldn't get a video, didn't really smell like coolant but my coolant level is a tad lower then before. How much coolant will it drink, degas bottle dry? Again will there be any DTC? How can I make sure it's a blown cooler with out having to take it in to Ford? Even if my delta is with in 8*, if I delete the EGR will I need to replace my oil cooler?

Thanks guys, trying not to flip my shiz, just bought $1400 worth of rubber this weekend.

Sent from phone, can't see sigs..

#14 · (Edited)
So started the truck this morning, no real smoke. Then this afternoon started it back up, thicker white smoke was pouring out. Couldn't get a video, didn't really smell like coolant but my coolant level is a tad lower then before. How much coolant will it drink, degas bottle dry?
Look at the failure like a leak in a pipe. It can start quite small and be just a drip-drip-drip but left ignored, it gets bigger and bigger. That pretty much explains it.

Again will there be any DTC? How can I make sure it's a blown cooler with out having to take it in to Ford? Even if my delta is with in 8*, if I delete the EGR will I need to replace my oil cooler?
There will not be a DTC set with an EGR cooler failure.

To be sure, park your truck on an incline, nose down. Pull the EGR valve and leave the truck like this overnight. In the morning look down into the hole in the intake. If you see moisture, your EGR cooler is toast.

If your EGR cooler is toast it is HIGHLY recommended to replace the oil cooler along with it. The EGR cooler failed because it is overheating due to compromised coolant flow.

How are you checking your delta? Cruising around town will not get you the correct reading. Get out on a highway, run it up to full operating temp (ECT 190°) set your cruise to 60-65MPH on the flat, run for about 5 minutes, check EOT/ECT.

You should also put on a coolant filter, if you don't have one on.

#13 ·
My buds 05 of on startup would smoke white a lil bit, then stop. Then while driving it would start up again for a couple seconds then stop. We put a basic EGR delete kit in it it went away.

#15 ·
I took it in this morning to a Ford diesel shop, so I'll hopefully know this afternoon. My delta reading was taken the way you described above. Coolant filter has been on for 15k miles. I cut my first two coolant filters apart and had nothing much in them, I'm on my third now.

#17 ·
Well took her in yesterday to Mid Tenn Ford, called them today they said they can't even diagnosis it til Saturday. F that. So like I said earlier, I just ordered tires on Monday, went ahead and picked it up from Mid Tenn this afternoon and took it over to get tires. Then it's off to Swamps Diesel to get EGR delete, new oil cooler, and SCT I believe. Pretty much 100% sure the EGR cooler is toast, smelt coolant out of the exhaust driving it today. Delta is still under 10*. It sucks the EGR failed on me, but it could be worse and I'll get tunes out if it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.