coolant change/ no chemicals. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant change/ no chemicals.

I want to change out the coolant in my 39,000 mile 05. I have a dieselsite coolant filter on it. Any drawback to just draining out old coolant, a couple of distilled flushes, no chemicals, then refill with coolant and call it a day?

I'm afraid of using the chemicals and creating a problem where none presently exists.

Are the silicates the problem in the ford gold? I found Peak ELC full strength that is a phosphate/silicate free coolant at Oreillys. Or should I go ford gold again?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need something with a corrosion inhibitor in it. Maybe a product like water wetter along with your distilled water.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 AM

I do plan on replacing the old coolant with new, just trying to get opinions on whats suitable.

I dont think i would run just water wetter and distilled, I do run it in my big block 70 Torino but thats about it.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 AM
information regurgitator

CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant as your replacement.
I do not know if that particular coolant is rated to this, but it may be.
Flush with distilled until it runs clean and clear.
When (not if) your oil cooler clogs on the coolant side enough to reach the 15F delta, that is when I would do all the chemical treatments.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
The Silent Service

If you are staying with the same coolant (Ford Gold etc.), you're fine with a drain and refill. Just understand you're not getting the best results with doing it that way.

If you are making the change from Fold Gold to an silicate-free ELC, then no you can't do it that way. You need to get all the silicate build up out of there before you pour in the new stuff. Its a good practice to follow the Restore flush (which gets the silicates out) with a flush of Restore Plus (which takes care of scaling and iron build up). And rebuilding the oil cooler only all those flushes ensures its completely clog free.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 AM
information regurgitator

If you do the chemical flushes, be prepared to replace your oil cooler in the weeks following that.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
If you do the chemical flushes, be prepared to replace your oil cooler in the weeks following that.
That's why I recommend doing the oil cooler rebuild at the same time you make the switch to ELC.

The dealership did my flush back in January VC-9 only and Ford Gold, when my head gaskets went bad. Its been five months and I'm already back at a 10* delta.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM

well thats exactly why I'm shying away from the chemical process.

I'm hoping that my low mileage (39,000) is working in my favor. I also would think that switching to a silicate free formula has to be better than continuing with whats in there. Reducing the amount of the problem, along with the filter surely must be as good preventive medicine than to go with the gold.

How would, after a complete distilled flush (two times)that be harmfull? Would the use of the Peak elc silicate free cause a problem? I am resigned to the fact that I will be replacing the oil cooler, egr delete and all the other hop-ups, but if I can get some mileage out of whats in there now thats why i dont want to poke the hornets nest.

Just trying to get my head wrapped around this endless debate of which coolant to use.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:59 AM
information regurgitator

His intent is to get rid of the junk, without stirring the pot.
I agree with his approach.
He does not want to tear into his engine since his oil cooler is healthy (or relatively so).
Why stir up all the junk when it is not necessary?
Leave sleeping dogs lie and flush with distilled to get the loose junk out. Change to the ELC (which will actually clean the cooling system up a tad on its own) after the distilled comes out clean and clear.
When you reach the point where you have to rebuild your oil cooler, attack the cooling system at that time with the chemical flushing.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM

Let me thanks you guys for your insight.

i know these engines are maintanance who#@$. I knwo there will be no way of not putting a cooler in. Eventually. I just need this thing to run thru the summer months while I make runs to Michigan from here in Chicago.

I'm hoping the coolant filter works some magic as well. Most likely at the end of summer if my soon to arrive guages dictate it , I will do the complete flush.
(got to be ready for fall steelhead).

Thanks again guys. Always good to get several opinions.

I have learned that you have to be open minded when it comes to these motors, somebody somewhere has been there, done that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.