Questions about turbo surge. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Questions about turbo surge.

I was driving home from work last night and did the drive it like you stole it PM getting on the highway and thinking how much I love my truck. So now I am going about 60 mph and set the cruse, and that is when I notice the the surging. I first felt a slight up and down feel to to motor, I also notice the rpms and the boost pressure fluctuating mildly. I was running about 10psi boost, the AC, was off and the windows were down. So next I turn off the cruse and the issue goes away, if I speed up the issue goes away. I closed the windows and set the cruse again and this time I'm running less than 5psi boost ( There must be a lot of drag with the windows down ) So now no problems. I have found similar threads with the same conditions , but no explanations. I was able to repeat this event a few more times on the way home. Now, I get to the questions. Is this normal? I just got a Scan Guage II in from BPD today while I was at work, so I ran out and played with my new toy. I found no codes. FICM is 48.5 volts and best of all the ect and eot delta T is 4 deg. So thats my novel anyone got an explanation / education for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No, turbo surging on a VGT turbo isn't normal. Are you running factory tuning or custom tuning?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.