Another Oil cooler story - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Oil cooler story

Just thought Iíd chime in on yet another oil cooler change out. First a little background. I bought a 05 6.0 F-250 4x4 about a month ago. I have read through all the threads about the problems everybody has had so I thought I would wait until everything was done before posting. I bought this truck in horse country of Tennessee. A lot of these trucks are bought for show and have not seen more than a 2 horse trailer hooked behind them. The one I bought had a ball in bed but no scratches, leading me to believe it hasnít saw much work. I was told the older guy that traded it in changed the fluids on time. Knowing these trucks I felt better doing all the fluids again. First thing I did was install an edge cts. I saw my ECT and EOT delta was over 15 degrees. Normal driving I was at 192 Ė 207, loaded with a light cattle trailer (6k) I was at 204- 217. I knew I would be pulling heavier loads than this. I needed to take care of a few things. I started flushing with Restore. Temps went higher 192 Ė 209. I didnít see any jellyfish, slime, sand, snot or anything weird. I then used DC-9, I saw some orange colored water and the temps climbed a little more, 192 -212. I flushed everything with 25 gallons of distilled H2O. I installed a coolant filter and took it to the Ford place for the rest. I just donít have the time. I had them install an oil cooler, 3C3Z6A642CA, BPD EGR cooler, new BPD turbo drain tube, HPOP STC fitting upgrade, 4C3Z9B246F, intake gaskets 3C3Z9433BH, fuel regulator spring upgrade, 3C3Z9T517AG,fuel filter kit, FD4616, Flush transmission fluid, XT5GM & XT5QM, element, FT145, replace radiator drain that I broke, F0AZ8115A, a hose clamp, F81Z8287EA, and clean the turbo. And change the oil in case anything dropped through from the other repairs. Total parts and labor was $2388.58.
I have only put a few miles on it, but the temps now are in sync with each other. The ECT temp is 196 and EOT is 202. You can see the oil temp come down when the thermostat opens. It is definitely exchanging heat. I have not hooked a heavy load to it yet but Iím not expecting any problems. As far as I know the truck was completely stock. I donít plan on doing any tuning but If I do Iíve do the studs then. I know I ainít done everything, but in my opinion this will suffice for a stock truck unless something else comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your temps look great now get a coolant filter http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324 to remove the casting sand are you running ELC coolant a must get a fuel pressure gauge because pressure under 45lbs at WOT will kill injectors you have the spring but no gauge, run a good Syn oil 5w40 and use only Ford filters as posted.
2 stroker
Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you did a GREAT job at doing your homework first and then quickly addressing/tackling these items.

I wish my ECT/EOTs were closer like yours....but I'm pushing 12 to 13 degrees and that's with new EGR and Oil coolers along with ELC. But then again, I'm running a 4.10 gear set and haul a loaded fuel porta tank around which adds to the weight of this boat (CC, DRW, long bed) and thereby drives up the deltas a tad. When hauling our 16k# 5er last night, the ECTs would get to 200-220 but the EOTs held right at the 15 degree delta. So...I'm ok with that.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You don't say what coolant you put back in after all that. I'm hoping you went with an ELC and not the Ford Gold again. If it does have the Gold in it I would flush it and replace it with ELC while everything is fresh and clean.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 PM

I added the coolant filter from Dieselsite after the 25 gallons of distilled water to flush out the tap water. I installed it just before getting all the other work done. I did use ELC. I can blow through the old oil cooler. The oil side is much less restricted than the coolant side though. I don't think I will be able to clean it very well. The way it is made will make it hard to clean. It has multiple paths for flow. If one section is stopped up it will just bypass in another section. Look like the only way to clean it would be to take it apart. This would destroy it. I'm waiting on Edge to come out with the fuel sensor. Or have they already? I have the EGT probe but I hav't installed it yet.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 PM

2400.00 for all that isnt that bad considering you went to the ford dealer..Now you can enjoy it for awhile..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.