Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thinking of buying 06 F250

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  astroinhouston 
#1 ·
I know this topic has been beat to death, but here I go. I'm new to diesal and am looking at buying an 06 with the 6.0L. The truck has 137K on it. Is this a good idea or am I crazy?

#3 ·
I drove it and it drives nice. Waiting on the Oasis now and I'll post the vin. I'm not going to be pulling anything with it, but am looking for a dependable truck that I can have for awhile. My daily commute is only around 20 miles and besides that would not be using it for extended trips other than occasional during hunting season.

#4 ·
Just got the Oasis report The VIN is:

1FTSW21P16EA53414

The only thing showing on the OAsis is it was serviced twice back in 07 and 08. The first time was to reprogram modules, program 05E16. The second time in 08 stated that it died while driving. This is what it reads and I don't have a clue how to read it

Name: COVE FORD, INC. Ph: 254-5474235 St:TX Ctry Cd: USA Reg Cd: NA
Repr Date:09-
MAY-2007
Doc
#:108723E
Cust Comments: PROGRAM 05E16
Tech Comments: REPROGRAM MODULES
1FTSW21P16EA53414 T/F7 F T/BC T/BD T/E A1 T/BE T/YB
28-
JUN-
31-
DEC-
152498 USA 34 1A02 030102 * 6051 * D21 42 76668
AWS Claim Key: 7223062 Trx Code: E72 Labor Hrs: 11.3
Dlr Cd-Sub Cd:
04437 -

Cust Comments: DIED WHILE DRIVING ADVISE
Tech Comments:
FITTING PERFORMED IESEL DIAGNOSIS 1 10A,PID TEST,R&I VALVE COVERS& CK,R&R ORINGS ON PLUG IN RAIL,LEAK STILL
THERE,R&I TURBO AND REPLACED FITTING ASSY,REPROGRAMMED PCM,FICM AND TCM AFTER REPLACING FICM ASSY

#5 ·
Welcome to the ORG!!

It looks like the "died while driving" episode resulted in (1) replacing the "Turbo fitting assembly" (not sure exactly what all that includes) to correct an oil leak and (2) to replace the FICM (this also includes some re-flashing) and (3) replace some o-rings, which didn't need replacing as it turned out. The FICM replacement was probably what fixed the "died while driving" symptom. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

If you're serious about buying a 6.0 liter, you should buy a Edge Insight CS to take with you on test drives. It just plugs into the OBDII port and will allow you to monitor your Engine Coolant Temp and Engine Oil Temp. You want to get the truck up to operating temperature (ECT = about 190*) and then check to make sure the EOT doesn't climb more than 15* above the ECT. Anything more than that and the truck has an oil cooler problem and is a time-bomb for a blown head gasket. I'm sure you can get a Insight CS used for fairly cheap and the unit can be used to check as many trucks as you like until you find the right one (one with no pre-existing oil cooler issue!). Seriously, if you're going to buy a 6.0, you're going to need to be able to monitor this stuff anyway, so it is money well spent.

#6 ·
Well it looks like they suspected a high pressure oil leak and replaced the o-rings in the hpo rail to the injectors to no avail. I am assuming the fitting they replaced was the STC fitting on the HPO pump since they removed the turbo to get to it. Then replaced the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) and reprogrammed it and did a flash update on the computer.

Nothing scary here and taking care of the HPO issues and FICM are all benefits in your favor since they are known failure points.

Get yourself an Edge Insight or a Scangauge II and hook it to the oBDII port and take it for a good 1/2 hr ride. After 20 minutes or so get it up to 65mph cruise for a few minutes and check the engine oil temp and engine coolant temp. They should be well within 15* of each other.

Other than that do the basic checks you would do on any used vehicle.

Read the first link in my signature to help understand the 6.0

#7 ·
Buy some gauges, check your temp spread on oil and coolant. If it is good, bring it home. Then cut the muffler off.

Cheers.

#9 ·
Did you do it? :icon_ford:

#11 ·
Man, thanks for all the great info! I definately feel alot better about this whole deal than I did before. PGreen, your link on the 6.0 really answered alot of questions and took the "scare" factor out of it. Gotta work this weekend and am going to get it checked out on Monday with the Edge insight. Hopefully everything looks good

#12 ·
I wish i would have joined this website before buying my truck now. I bought an 06 F 250 king ranch last week with 120,000 miles on it. I test drove it a few times and everything seemed ok, but i've never owned a diesel, just rode in them. It has a 6" lift with 38" tires, but i'm taking off the lift and tires because i have a fifth wheel camper i pull. If i post my vin could i get help checking it out?

#13 ·
Just start a new thread asking for "Oasis Report Please" with your vin number. Usually one of the ford techs will get it for you, just be patient, it might take a couple of days to get a response. Make sure you thank them.

#14 · (Edited)
FWIW, I just bought a 2005 F350 6.0 CC 4x4 with 136,000 miles in early April. I hadn't yet found the forum, but after I had, I quickly began learning everything I could about the 6.0s and began checking things out on my 6.0 - I even found out the previous owner's info and was able to talk to him about everything - The HGs were already done, EGR deleted, oil cooler replaced, etc.

I will let you know one secret I've found - Be prepared to drop $700+ into changing ALL fluids and filters as soon as you get the truck. In the past month, I've done:

Oil and Filter $80
Coolant Filter $20
Trans Filters & Fluid $102
Fuel Filters $50
Transfer Case $41
Zerex ELC - $90
Restore & VC-9 $78
Air Filter $50
Thermostat $30
Not to mention the Motorcraft fuel treatment (Cetane Booster) - $7/per 125gallons

Can't think of everything right now, but it's money WELL spent to establish your own maintenance baseline.

I opted for actual gauges rather than the CTS, but the CTS would be a handy thing to have, especially on a test drive.

I bought:

ProPod $70 from Summit
Gray Paint $20
4 Gauges - $198 from GlowShift

If you've got a spare grand at the time of the purchase, you're probably better off - 'cause you're gonna need to drop some change on the truck!

#15 ·
Said very well here. This is the one thing i wish was explained to me prior to purchase. Not that it would have swayed me, but I would have spent my money on needs not wants. I have had my 06 which I got with 97K on the ticker in Sept, and I am probably up to $2500 in general "get right" maintenance, then blew the roof off the SOB buying tires. I was very naive about the cost to keep these things up. But man o man, is it a hell of a truck, and all in all very well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.