'94 GMC 5.7L gas --> '03 F250 6.0 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'94 GMC 5.7L gas --> '03 F250 6.0 PSD

Hey guys I'm looking to get some opinions/tips from you, the experts.

I currently own a 1994 GMC K1500 5.7L gas pickup. I have the opportunity to buy, from a family member, a 2003 F250 6.0L PSD pickup. It has 85,000 miles on it and is in mint condition.

My GMC runs great and fits my needs pretty well. The heaviest load I'll be hooking up to would be an 18' goose neck horse trailer with one horse for now (hopefully it stays that way...).

My concerns are mainly cost of ownership. I know I'll come out ahead in the fuel consumption department, but everything else concerns me (oil changes potential repairs, etc). Honestly, I really don't need a diesel right now, but it's a pretty good deal since I would be making payments without having to get an actual used car loan.

I'm kind of a diesel rook. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you don't need the diesel, or foresee your self needing that much truck anytime soon I wouldn't do it. It's a lot to maintain and keep up if you don't need it. On the other hand, you do feel pretty BA cruising around in a diesel.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:43 AM

Yea the cost of ownership is waay more. Oil change for example, 4 gallons of Rotella T6 $65, Filter $17. So $82 for an oil change. Dont forget the $100 fuel filters every other oil change. So 10000 miles will cost you $285 in oil and filters alone. If money is not tight with you though, I would say its worth it.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadedooer View Post
Yea the cost of ownership is waay more. Oil change for example, 4 gallons of Rotella T6 $65, Filter $17. So $82 for an oil change. Dont forget the $100 fuel filters every other oil change. So 10000 miles will cost you $285 in oil and filters alone. If money is not tight with you though, I would say its worth it.
I think youre gettin robbed on fuel filters. I pay like $47 for the set.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

to the OP if you are looking for a truck that will save you money in the long run, get a diesel, hands down. It will last you alot longer than any gasser ever will, yes maintenence will be higher than that of a gas truck, but typical diesel owner will have his 1 truck to every 2 trucks of a gasser owner. i had my last truck up to 300k on the clock and right now my 08 has around 95k and its just getting broken in, also if you are ever in a situation where you need to pull a large or even some what decent sized load you will have no problem, with a gas motor you might be able to pull it but yoiu are straining the hell out of that motor!!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM

I got mine from the dealer. I know they are cheaper online.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 AM

Although not as powerful, you cannot go wrong w/ the 5.7. I have seen 200K+ on those engines as well.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM

I was in a very similar position about 6 months ago. I ended up selling my '08 Nissan Titan and buying an '05 F250. It's very expensive to maintain. I have been very fortunate that I do not have any issues with my motor. But you can be sure that anything that needs to be done is going to cost you more than your current truck.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. This is a tough decision. I think it would be wise to stick with what works and what's paid for. But as far as what I want, that would be the ford. I could afford the payment, but if something went wrong on the truck... might be in trouble.

Last edited by bdart; 06-10-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 PM

If it's what you want, then do it! That's how I wound up with mine. Heaviest thing I ever pull is my 14ft aluminum fishing boat, other than that it's my daily. Yes, the maintenance is expensive, but the trade off in my opinion is reliability. If well maintained, these trucks will last a long time. I can't imagine having to do anything to a 6.0 that you wouldn't have to do to a gasser over time, if you keep an eye on it. Mine's got 118k on it and is in need of a ball joint and a front u-joint, and thats it. Just don't baby it! Put your foot in it now and then and let it run. Trust me, feeling BA in a 6.0 is an understatement. The straight pipe on mine is music to my ears when I lay on the pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.