Edge Evolution - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Evolution

What are the general opinions out there about the Evolution. My insight crapped out and I will be sending it back to edge for repair. They can upgrade it for 300 bucks. I am looking for the pros and cons. Just looking for better fuel milage not big power gaing. My truck is mostly stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 AM

anybody????
Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowcoach View Post
anybody????
I have the Evolution CTS and I think its ok, but that is because I have never ridden in a truck with custom tunes.. I am like you and wasnt looking for huge power gains, just a little more fuel mileage.. How much do they want just to fix your Insight? Assuming you have insight and they will upgrade you to Evolution for $300 correct?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 AM

SCT with custom tunes for your truck, that tunes the transmission > Edge on the fly tuning for anyone's 6.0. Just my 0.02 cents though. For 300 bucks you could pretty much have an SCT.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 AM

fixing the insight is covered because of the defective parts. what kind of fuel milage increase did you see?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just have an evolution...and yes it tunes the transmission also. There are 4 levels 1) transmission only 2) Economy 3)towing 4) performance all are nothing crazy #4 does give some decent power # 3 is good also for what i need, towing my 31' trailer. What i really like is the EOT/EGT temp readings. youll be happy with it.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by the06wildebeast View Post
SCT with custom tunes for your truck, that tunes the transmission > Edge on the fly tuning for anyone's 6.0. Just my 0.02 cents though. For 300 bucks you could pretty much have an SCT.
What he said^^^^^

The Edge Evo may tune some of the trans parameters, but comes no where close to a custom tuned SCT when it comes to power and trans tuning for the 6.0.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bill @ PHP can convert your Insight to an Evo for cheaper than that! If you are going to call PHP get it converted to a Gryphon and get his custom tunes and ask him about the trans tuning compared to an SCT as he writes files for both tuners. He will know the REAL truth about the differences between the Gryphon and the SCT!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM

I will echo what Tuckman said!

It depends on whether or not you have the old insight or the insight cs on whether it would be worth it to me.

The original insight looks like the old Evolution. The Insight CS has a larger screen and is color. If you have the newer CS and you have them convert it over, then that will be all you will need to get custom tunes from PHP. However, if you have the old Evolution and you want custom tunes, you will have to send it to PHP and have them change it into a Gryphon (legality reason) for $30 before you can get custom tunes from them.

Now, with that said, PHP is the only company that can put custom programs on the Edge equipment. That is because Bill, (the owner) used to work for Edge and had a very big hand in creating the original Evolution along with writing the canned tunes for them.

I absolutely LOVE Bill's tunes! I cannot say enough nice things about PHP and their tunes, but if you were to go with SCT then you have many other company's that write tunes and can put them on the SCT if you so choose. With the Evo you are stuck with PHP (Which is not a bad thing in my opinion.)

Last edited by roary; 06-10-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling owns me
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
What he said^^^^^

The Edge Evo may tune some of the trans parameters, but comes no where close to a custom tuned SCT when it comes to power and trans tuning for the 6.0.
The Evolution tunes the entire transmission just as an SCT would. It just may not use the same values as some specific tune writer does. But it does tune it.

I've had canned Evo tunes, I've had canned Gryphon tunes, and now have custom tunes on my Gryphon and can run with a tuned and deleted 6.4. People can believe what they want, but the issue with the transmissions were from the Edge Juice and Juice w/Attitude. Those did not provide any tuning for the transmissions and where all the burnt tranny's came from.

Last edited by roary; 06-10-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.