Newbie question about 2006 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie question about 2006 6.0

I've got an 06 f250 with 28k miles on it totally stock. Just tonight I noticed in my rear view when i floored it on the freeway I saw some light smoke in the cars headlights behind me as I held the pedal to the floor. The car behind me was my girlfriend and she said she didn't see any smoke whenever I floored it but I keep seeing it haha. Is it normal that they smoke a little out the tailpipe under load when stock? Im going to try it during the day tomorrow and see if I can see anything unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea its normal. If you mash it to the floor there is almost always going to be smoke coming out. It just may not be very dense on a stock truck.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 PM

normal, you have the right idea drive it like you stole it and it will run a lot better and add cetane boost to the fuel, Syn oil and only Ford filters with 28k you will be good for a long time, they like to work they are not grocery getters. Get the coolant filter ASAP.
2 stroker
Old 06-09-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
normal, you have the right idea drive it like you stole it and it will run a lot better and add cetane boost to the fuel, Syn oil and only Ford filters with 28k you will be good for a long time, they like to work they are not grocery getters. Get the coolant filter ASAP.
2 stroker
Makes me feel better I guess I wasn't going nuts haha. I definitely drive it like I stole it at least a few times every day, didn't know about cetane booster and now that I looked into it I'll def be ordering some soon. How often do you guys change the oil in your truck? The dealer I work at is where i got the truck and they did the oil change (not sure if they used synthetic) but I have no clue the last time the fuel filters were done. So I'm thinking of doing fuel filters and oil change at 30k to get it all in sync. I have a edge cts w/ egt on it's way and planning on coolant filter and coolant flush soon. Any tips or help are much appreciated thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 AM
The Silent Service

You're on the right track with the CTS, and coolant filter. I would say hold off on the flush until you get the Insight hooked up. If ECT/EOT, and everything is good and the coolant looks fresh, I wouldn't worry about it. As to the fuel filters, call and ask, in the event they didn't get them done.

You'll find all these trucks need to keep running most of the time, is an owner who is paying attention to them and catches the little stuff before it snowballs.

If you're looking for information, start here:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
You're on the right track with the CTS, and coolant filter. I would say hold off on the flush until you get the Insight hooked up. If ECT/EOT, and everything is good and the coolant looks fresh, I wouldn't worry about it. As to the fuel filters, call and ask, in the event they didn't get them done.

You'll find all these trucks need to keep running most of the time, is an owner who is paying attention to them and catches the little stuff before it snowballs.

If you're looking for information, start here:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
So if my ECT/EOT are okay don't worry about the flush? Shouldn't I still get that crappy gold coolant out before it breaks down and plugs the cooler and causes big issues?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 AM

I think the ford recommended coolant flush is 50k miles. That being said if your eot and ect look good I would hold off till then unless it makes you feel better to get it out the way. As far as oil/fuel filter changes youll get a variety of answers depending on what oil you use and how much actual hauling you do. I change my oil every 6k miles use rotella sae and change my fuel filters every other oil change.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06DZL View Post
I think the ford recommended coolant flush is 50k miles. That being said if your eot and ect look good I would hold off till then unless it makes you feel better to get it out the way. As far as oil/fuel filter changes youll get a variety of answers depending on what oil you use and how much actual hauling you do. I change my oil every 6k miles use rotella sae and change my fuel filters every other oil change.
I disagree on the coolant flush (of course). It is 5 years old. Time to change it regardless of mileage. With that low mileage you may just want to flush it good with distilled water and and refill with ELC concentrate.

I agree with the oil change interval and filter change intervals. Run a 5w40 synthetic and change at 6k miles. For a relatively inexpensive synthetic the Rotella T6 5w40 is very popular and does well in our trucks. Racor or Motorcraft filters are your best bet. Since Racor makes the Motorcraft filters you can save a bunch of money by not paying for the Motorcraft box and buying the Racor. Dieselfiltersonline is a great place to get filters from.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Awesome! Thanks for all the help/tips guys. I hope my EOT/ECT are fine that way it will make that coolant flush alot faster/easy, with my work i barely have the time for anything. Im loving the truck, I keep eyeing a 4" TB Exhaust just cant decide if i want straight pipe or with muffler.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Straight piped all the way. The 6.0 sounds awesome straight piped. Oh you're in Cali too. I'd gut the kitty too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.