all the 6.0's problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
all the 6.0's problems?

hi everyone,
Im new to the site, been reading for along time tho, love powerstrokes but never really heard anything to positive on 6.0's. All but one guy I know has held onto their 6.0 and switched to 7.3's

If I get a 6.0 what years should I be looking for, and what problems should I be looking for or possibly expecting. I have heard about rough and high idles, some issues with fuel lines and other stuff.

I don't mind seeing pictures and all the help or advice you have
along with mpgs, chips if you have them, lift and tires and all that good stuff
Thanks Everyone
Ryan Clark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark12 View Post
hi everyone,
Im new to the site, been reading for along time tho, love powerstrokes but never really heard anything to positive on 6.0's. All but one guy I know has held onto their 6.0 and switched to 7.3's

If I get a 6.0 what years should I be looking for, and what problems should I be looking for or possibly expecting. I have heard about rough and high idles, some issues with fuel lines and other stuff.

I don't mind seeing pictures and all the help or advice you have
along with mpgs, chips if you have them, lift and tires and all that good stuff
Thanks Everyone
Ryan Clark

I would look at 06-07 get an oasis report from Ford this will tell you if it has been a problem child, if you stay on top of them they are a sweat running truck something with low miles under 40k i have both 7.3 and the 6.0, my 06 will out pull my 7.3 hands down they both get about the same mpg 9 pulling my 14k 5er and 17 solo. The 6.0 needs gauges, coolant filter, fuel pressure gauge and other things look at sigs to see what everyone has done to there trucks and do the same run cetane boost in the fuel and once a week drive it like you stole it to keep the egr and turbo clean and working. I would not tune a stock motor, just me because i don't have deep pockets.
2 stroker
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The 6.0 doesn't really have all that many problems. Do some reading and educate yourself. All the answers are here.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is by far the best site to learn from , everything you need to know. Everyone is very helpful. i went from not knowing anything about a 6.0L to feeling comfertable about tackling anyjob on it.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone I appreciate it,

I guess people just shout louder when there is a problem oppossed to hearing all the good stuff. I have always wanted a 7.3, but im actually finding alot of 6.0's cheaper, and Im really ready to own a diesel.

I hope to have it on 6" and 35-38's, chip in it, and wwprk from there, gauges, stacks all that great stuff. Probably stick to 35"s tho Id like to get as many mpgs as possible, a friends 7.3 on 35's and chipped is hitting 24 highway 18 city
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM

he's not getting that kind of mileage trust me, big tires big lifts only decrease mileage no ifs ands or butts... his speedo wasn't re calibrated giving him false readout

on the other hand welcome!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Dig through data. Learn the BS that is said about the 6.0 and learn what is great about the 6.0. I agree they take more to keep up with but it is simple stuff that anyone who drives a car should learn. Keep oil slippery and clean! Keep the coolant filtered and clean! Watch your temps! Again many more tricks to make the 6.0 even better such as removing EGR cooler and getting the gold coolant out. Either way, drive a 7.3 and then drive a 6.0. You will fall in love with the 6.0. No disrespect to the 7.3, I love them two! Just the power and drivablity of the 6.0 rocks! Also, it nice that you can put your windows up while towing 15k and have a conversation with someone on the phone without them asking what that noise is!

Again, read on what to take care of but it bascily comes down to clean synthetic oil, filtered coolant, better off filtered ELC.

Cheers and good luck! The 6.0 is worth it! Dont let the haters who dont know how to take care of machinery talk you out of one!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I just saw that 24 mpg thing. Nope.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM
The Silent Service

Welcome to the ORG.

You have all you need to know on this site, in the 6.0L sections. Its a great motor, but you have to monitor it. It cannot be neglected like the 7.3's of old. The fewer problems belong to the late-06's (build date after Jan '06) and '07s.

Wouldn't trade mine for another truck on the road.

After you get a good monitor (ScangaugeII, or Edge Insight CS/CTS), tunes will get you the biggest bang for the buck on mileage. I see 13.3 mpg stock and 15.6 mpg on my Race tune, stock hieght dually with 4.30 gears. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
mpg claims are hard to believe. everyone tends to exaggerate when they're blowin their own horn. I'm impressed with the 6.0s mileage though

I'm pulling 17-18 mixed now that the weather is nice out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.