2006 CCLB Tie Rod Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 CCLB Tie Rod Replacement

Truck was in the shop to have the alignment readjusted. Just got a call stating both the front left and right outer tie rods need to be replaced to the tune of $500 all in.

I have never jacked with anything suspenion in my life. How difficult would this repair be to do on my own? Is $500 worth it? I don't even know how much tie rods are outside of this quote, they are charging $335 for parts and the rest in labor.

Should I go with OEM parts or are there better aftermarket options? I am heading on a 600 mile round trip this weekend, not knowing a thing on tie rods, is it critical to get them done before the trip(dealer wins in this scenario) or could it wait until I can get to it in 10 days and 600 miles later?

Thanks for any help or info. Truck is 4WD if that makes a difference.

Last edited by astroinhouston; 06-08-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM

i am not sure about labor but also maybe look into moog tie rod ends. I have heard they are better than OEM. Also i would get it done before your trip. You dont want to have a tie rod fail!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the reminder on Moog, I always here people on the site talk about that brand.

Man youtube is becoming my 2nd favorite site, found a video doing a replacement, and looks pretty darn easy. So I am going to do that before I head out.

In addition to the tie rod replacement, is there anything else I should do at the same time? I always here tie rod and ball joint in the same sentence, should I be doing anything else here? Guess it's a great time to learn the steering system on this truck...lol.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM

might want to check your track bar bushings while you are there. Check your ball joints for wear. If you do your ball joints might as well do the axle u-joints because they are right there also. Its never ending fun lol
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Just picked up the truck. Ball joints are dry/cracking, so ordered tie rods and ball joints already. I agree with the u joint idea after seeing where they are in the videos, seems like a decent maintenance item for less than $100.

I can't seem to find Moog U-Joints, do they make them? If not, any idea on a decent brand for the u-joint?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM

i recommend the spicer u joints that are not greaseable because they are stronger. You can contact George at 8 lug truck gear and he can get you the correct u-joints. I think any part store can get moog tie rod ends.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Does anyone have an exploded view of the suspensions for the 6.0?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Just the other day I did both inner and both outer tie rod/drag link ends. I ordered MOOG stuff because everyone swore they had grease fittings. Well not one of the parts has a grease fitting in it. So just make sure you know exactly what you order. And as for ball joints there's a couple really usefull videos on youtube if you're not sure how to do em.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 AM

This is the one I used when ordering parts. Its from Ford Parts Giant. But I ordered them from RockAuto since they were cheaper.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the snapshot, big help just on how things link together.

Do I need any seals, orings, gaskets for any of this stuff? Does everything come with every part?

As of now, I have the following heading my way:

Moog Drag Link #DS80749
Moog Outer Tie Rod ES80755
Moog Outer Tie Rod ES80754
2 Moog Upper Ball Joint s K80026
2 Moog Lower Ball Joints K8607T
2 Spicer axle u-joins 1480WJ

Will address the track bar bushings when I get everything off, and pick them up if needed locally. Anything else I should add to this for preventative maintenance, or anything else i could encouter/should check as I am doing this that is common to fail? Also, does anyone know what size socket to get the rotor off?

Trip this weekend got cancelled (WOOHOO) get to do this, and install the exhaust I just ordered this weekend. Should be interesting.

Last edited by astroinhouston; 06-09-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.