I dont understand.... I have another leak in my overflow coolant box.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I dont understand.... I have another leak in my overflow coolant box....

My 05 6.0 has 180k miles on it.

About a year ago, i noticed my over flow box was leaking (small pin hole), so i went to the dealer and purchased a new one. earlier this week my truck got hot and had to replace the thermostat (no biggie)

Today i noticed that my overflow box has another freaking hole! What is causing this??
I also noticed that the overflow box looks grimy inside and kind of oily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiepowerstroke View Post
My 05 6.0 has 180k miles on it.

About a year ago, i noticed my over flow box was leaking (small pin hole), so i went to the dealer and purchased a new one. earlier this week my truck got hot and had to replace the thermostat (no biggie)

Today i noticed that my overflow box has another freaking hole! What is causing this??
I also noticed that the overflow box looks grimy inside and kind of oily?
If your degasing tank has oil in it you have a big problem, oil cooler going bad what are your EOT-ECT running you need gauges to tell. What coolant are you running and has the motor been flushed may need egr and oil coolers
2 stroker
Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like typical oil cooler rupture. Stop driving it or it will just get all bad! IMO Rubber hoses dont like oil...
Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
If your degasing tank has oil in it you have a big problem, oil cooler going bad what are your EOT-ECT running you need gauges to tell. What coolant are you running and has the motor been flushed may need egr and oil coolers
2 stroker

I had the smell of diesel yesterday when stopped. Got home and noticed it was coolant spraying out of degass tank.

I am not sure on temperatures.
where is the oil cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2elvis View Post
Sounds like typical oil cooler rupture. Stop driving it or it will just get all bad! IMO Rubber hoses dont like oil...
i am about done..... i think i am going to fix the degass tank and the dealer can take her on a trade.....
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM

It's not your degass bottle's problem, it's (more than likely) a clogged oil pump causing pressure buildup which is venting out of your degass bottle (15psi cap) or an EGR cooler failure. In other words, you need to swap / rebuild your oil cooler and / or replace your EGR cooler otherwise you run the risk of blown head gaskets, if they aren't blown already.

6.0's need gauges (not the crappy stock gauge cluster which is nothing more than a glorified idiot light) to monitor temps and pressures properly, no questions asked. Keeping up on your temp deltas and other vitals will ensure a long lived 6.0.

The leak in the degass bottle itself (not the puking) is more than likely caused by the pressure buildup within the bottle itself as described above. So it's not just a degass problem it's a bigger issue that's causing your degass to leak.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

oh i agree with what your saying. BUt if there is oilly residue in the degass bottle then, does that mean 100% cracked head or blown head gasket??

I can stick my finger in the line before the degass bottle and the line has lots of gunk in it... rubber hoses breaking down i think?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM

No it's not a garunteed head gasket failure... The reason I say that is, you could have an EGR cooler failure which would allow exhaust gas (and with that exhaust soot) leach into your coolant system, or you could have a High Pressure Oil Pump rupture that would allow coolant into the oil system and vice versa. Both of these can occur with no head gasket damage.

Do you have any coolant in your oil? White smoke coming out the tailpipe? Etc?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have no white smoke coming out of tail pipe.

I have no water in oil.

My overflow box was brand new a year ago and it black now.. not sure thats normal. i just took the box off and it looks to have oil in it, so i attempted to rinse it out and does not seem to come out. I would have said yes looks like oil but now i wonder if it is indeed soot. My lines seem to have black crud in them pretty bad.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM

Take your EGR valve out, is there moisture / fluid / etc in there? Is there actual Oil in the coolant? As in if you let the truck sit overnight is there an oily "sheen" on the surface of the coolant in the degass bottle in the morning or is your degass bottle just "black looking"? There's a big difference between the two and can help narrow down what may be the culprit.

You can also run your truck for a while (drive it around town and get your thermostat opened up to refill your degas with the "bad stuff") empty your degass into a clear empty 2 liter bottle, let it sit and see if there's any water & oil seperation in the bottle in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.