Intake and Exhaust Question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake and Exhaust Question?

I have a friend that is looking to get a little more power and fuel economy out of his 6.0 along with lowering EGT's while towing. A free flowing intake and exhaust seems like a no brainer to me on any engine but I have been told that with the reputation of having bad head gaskets, changing anything could cause more harm than good. I have another friend with an 03 6.0 and has a full MBRP exhaust and banks intake and has had no issues in 185,000 miles. So my question is, is there any truth to these mods increasing the odds of head gasket damage or is it just another rumor? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Maintenance neglect and over abuse causes HG failure. You can have your buddies read this, it's up to them to follow thru.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

CAI don't cause HG failure, they usually destroy the compressor wheel on the turbo, do to lack of filtration.

Exhaust has nothing to do with HG failure, the only con is if you get caught without a cat.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The intake and exhaust won't cause an issue with HG's.

For intakes there's two schools of thought; 1) keep the stock unit that filters better than anything on the market, and supports 500HP builds. 2) Get an S&B CAI with the dry filter, its about the only one aftermarket without a bad rep.

For exhaust system, Stainless Steel Turbo-back 4" system from MBRP or Diamond Eye are the most popular. 4" is as big as you need to go for increased flow in a stock to mildly modified truck. 5" systems and Stack kits do nothing for performance without big power being put down.

I would say go with the exhaust described above, and recommend a monitor (like the Edge Insight CS/CTS) vise an intake to your friend. Knowing what's going on under that hood is more important in the long run than the intake and the Insight CS is comparable to what some of these CAI's are listed for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.