White smoke at stoplights? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke at stoplights?

Hello,

I have noticed over the past couple weeks, when I sit at a stoplight and then start driving again I get some white smoke out of the exhaust for a second or two. Once in a while, it will smoke while I am stopped -- just sit there and smoke.

I have an Edge Insight, and all of my temps and readings look normal to me. No codes. No mileage change. Oil and Coolant still look good.

Truck has a 4" off-road exhaust on it and a SRL program on it, but have had those for quite a while.

No racing or anything recently that I would think would cause problems, nor does the truck seem to run poorly.

I was getting ready to flush the coolant and change to ELC w/ filter, as well as change the banjo bolts and fuel pressure spring, but have not done so yet.

I'm concerned because it didn't do this before, and I don't want to get into doing more work if something is wrong.

Any ideas what would be causing this? What should I look for? If it weren't for the smoke I wouldn't think it was a problem, truck is running as good as it ever has.

Thanks,

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Probably unspent fuel since your not loosing coolant smell it if it burns your eyes and nose its unspent fuel. Switch to stock tune see if it goes away.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

could be a weak ficm, or a bad injector

any codes?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos30 View Post
could be a weak ficm, or a bad injector

any codes?
No codes. FICM voltage reads 48v-48.5v through the Insight. How do I check for a bad injector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordWake View Post
Probably unspent fuel since your not loosing coolant smell it if it burns your eyes and nose its unspent fuel. Switch to stock tune see if it goes away.
Would it be fuel for white smoke? When I step on it I do get some black smoke...from the tune. It didn't start until recently, but I can switch tunes and see what happens.

Adam
Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Unspent fuel will be white yes and smell and burn your eyes. Black smoke is just fuel that hasnt fully burnt (not enough air) its why it usually clears up once the turbo gets going. Switch the tune to stock and try it. You may have an injector sticking open.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89MustangGX View Post
No codes. FICM voltage reads 48v-48.5v through the Insight. How do I check for a bad injector?

Would it be fuel for white smoke? When I step on it I do get some black smoke...from the tune. It didn't start until recently, but I can switch tunes and see what happens.

Adam

get friendly with someone that has AE
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks-- I'll change tunes and see if I notice a difference.

If it is an injector, is replacement the only option? I run good synthetic oil, and thought I was helping them. Would rather not have to replace anything...

Also, I get about 15mpg mixed driving, and haven't seen a change. If I have a sticky injector, could I possibly get better mileage after fixing it?

Adam
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 AM

As far as oil and coolant "looking good" are you losing any coolant level at all?

As you didn't mention anything about an EGR delete / bulletproof EGR I'm assuming you have the stock EGR setup? Pull the EGR, is it wet, show any fluid seepage, etc? You could be getting minute coolant blowby into your exhaust as well (which would not throw a code if it's minimal).

Do you only see the smoke when the engine is cold / hot / always / etc?

As far as your FICM readings, is that engine off key on, cranking and engine on volts all staying above 48v at all 3 intervals?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM

If you have a sticky injector i would reccomend rev x oil additive first.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsniper View Post
As far as oil and coolant "looking good" are you losing any coolant level at all?

As you didn't mention anything about an EGR delete / bulletproof EGR I'm assuming you have the stock EGR setup? Pull the EGR, is it wet, show any fluid seepage, etc? You could be getting minute coolant blowby into your exhaust as well (which would not throw a code if it's minimal).

Do you only see the smoke when the engine is cold / hot / always / etc?

As far as your FICM readings, is that engine off key on, cranking and engine on volts all staying above 48v at all 3 intervals?
Coolant level looks like it hasn't moved to me. I looked inside the reservoir and it looked golden clear. It looked darker in the deeper part, but I think that was shadow, because I could clearly see the fluid was almost clear where I was looking.

No EGR changes except the programming turned it off. I have never pulled it before, can you help with a "how-to" and I will take a look and/or clean it? Or I suppose I can just search on here...

The smoke only seems to be when cold. By the time I get home, I look and see no smoke. When I leave in the morning it is too dark for me to see anything. It only seems to happen when I leave from a stop, so I can't get out and smell it or see much other than in my side mirror.

The 48v was when engine running, I will check others when I go out in a bit to change the programming.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.