Ford Gold or ELC? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford Gold or ELC?

Ok here me out.. I know ELC is the unaminous choice amongst most orgsters, however, I had an interesting conversation w Charles at Kem Performance yesterday. I have heard only good things about Kem and the work they do. Next week my truck will be dropped off to get studded, the egr deleted, and a new oil cooler. I asked him is recommendation on coolant and he said ford gold. He said if the ford gold was the problem and it would have been cheaper to recall then ford would have. He said his partner is an engineer for international and numerous lab tests have been/were done w the ford gold and elc. Ford gold is made to work in that truck, and ELC is actually corrosive to some of the metal. I am not trying to turn this into any kind of pissing contest, just looking for some pros and cons of each. Please input any advice and or proof. I myself was convinced ELC was the way to go before hearing him and his counter arguement against it yesterday, so please shine some light and help me to make the correct decision for my truck. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 AM

Lots of people have over 200k miles on the Ford Gold and have had no problems. Trouble is, many people have had oil cooler clogging on the coolant side.

There are no threads that have yet been posted on complaints of ELC coolant - in any way (at least not on the 12 forums that I watch).

Maybe there are issues, but I doubt it - since International puts the ELC coolant in their 6.0L engines.

The big question - what is the REAL mechanism that generates the gooey mess in the 6.0L engine? Maybe it is silicate related, but it can't be that entirely - since (as I said earlier) -many people have high mileage w/ it and have NOT seen this junk clog their oil cooler. Ford has said that several things can cause precipitaton of silicates, such as excessive heat (more than a well running engine) and mixing combustion gasses w/ coolant. Also, mixing the coolant w/ tap water (or possibly adding different coolants in w/ the Gold) - also could cause issues.

The second big question - since some people have had failures w it and no one has posted up failures w/ the ELC coolant, what does this say to you (ie an individual decision).

Last edited by bismic; 06-07-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance! I doubt that there is anything wrong with the Ford gold, other than the replacement interval that Ford HAD set for it (100k, now at 50k). I think that as long as its changed every 40-50k, you're going to be fine with it
Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
My question for Mike would be is why isnt IH seeing failures. I know why. They use the red ELC. Thats about the only variable since they both use the same cooler setup.

The guys with gold that arent plugging coolers are flusing the cooling system every 30k as instructed
Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 AM

The Ford Gold Coolant is the problem, but here's why Ford hasn't admitted to that.

Ford Gold was used in more than just the 6.0. So if Ford blames the coolant as opposed to the motor they'd have an even bigger liability (read more $) on the line due to repairs and claims against ALL motors that ran Ford Gold. So you're talking the Escapes, F-150's, etc, etc that all ran the Ford Gold could potentially cost the company money in warranty repairs and reimbursements. But by saying it's a "6.0" problem they're only on the hook for that motor and even at that they can try and pass some of that blame off on Navistar.

When it comes down to it, it's just a business trying any angle they can to save a buck and limit their exposure.

If Ford Gold was so good then why does International use ELC in their 6.0s?

Another part that you have to take into consideration as well, not only does the Fold Gold break down into a silicate gel, but most all 6.0's have residual sand left in the blocks that can cause some clogging as well so regardless of which route you go a coolant filter is "required".
Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 AM

my feeling is there is a bigger issue with rust clogging the cooler than the gold coolent. my truck only had a 9* spread after 105k but my truck also had a new engine installed at 5k and refilled at the dealership. so my question besides casting sand did some trucks contain too much water and that is what has lead to the rust issue.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

i'm sure the dealers refilling with tap water only adds to the problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 AM

From my own experience its mostly silicate and casting sand that clogs the oil cooler. I had very little scale and rust but I only had 62k on it too. The manufacturer of the engine puts ELC in it. ELC also provides superior cavitation protection to. My theories to why the people with higher mileage running ford gold is

1. They have done a good job maintaining there coolant (filter, changing often etc)
2. They have had a lot of coolant related repairs done under warranty (EGR COOLERS/OIL COOLERS)
3. Bought the truck with higher mileage to begin with

Ultimately its your truck so you make the choice as for my truck it will have the ELC RED KOOLAID forever.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The tech I use at the dealer has an 06 with 126k (bone stock) on it, pulls a TT all summer long, and still runs the Ford gold. He just flushes it every 50k or so .
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Lots of people have over 200k miles on the Ford Gold and have had no problems. Trouble is, many people have had oil cooler clogging on the coolant side.

There are no threads that have yet been posted on complaints of ELC coolant - in any way (at least not on the 12 forums that I watch).

Maybe there are issues, but I doubt it - since International puts the ELC coolant in their 6.0L engines.

The big question - what is the REAL mechanism that generates the gooey mess in the 6.0L engine? Maybe it is silicate related, but it can't be that entirely - since (as I said earlier) -many people have high mileage w/ it and have NOT seen this junk clog their oil cooler. Ford has said that several things can cause precipitaton of silicates, such as excessive heat (more than a well running engine) and mixing combustion gasses w/ coolant. Also, mixing the coolant w/ tap water (or possibly adding different coolants in w/ the Gold) - also could cause issues.

The second big question - since some people have had failures w it and no one has posted up failures w/ the ELC coolant, what does this say to you (ie an individual decision).
That is my problem now, oil cooler is clogging on the coolant side and EOT's are getting high. I agree with you on that there have been no complaints of ELC to date and im leaning towards the ELC. However, if i do indeed go w gold, it will be w a coolant filter system.

Thanks for the input guys..

Now just cant wait to get back home and have my truck fixed and ready to roll w the egr deleted, studded, and the new oil cooler..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.