6.0L 40,000 miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L 40,000 miles

This forum has been great to read. I've read up a ton on the 6.0 engine. I previously owned a 2004 F250 6.0L SCLB 4x4. I had a mess of issues with it and sold it by 2006. Went to a 7.3 Excursion until it rusted away. It seems Ford cleared up most of the issues with the 6.0L by late 2005, and I actually enjoyed my 2004 when it ran properly. I am about to buy a totally stock 2006 F250 6.0L CCSB 4x4 with 40,000 original miles. I've seen that a total EGR cooler delete kit would be for off-road use only. This must be for emissions reasons in some (or all) states. So here are my questions...

Anyone know about specific state restrictions regarding EGR delete?

EGR delete vs. "tuning" the EGR valve closed. (exhaust can still enter the cooler but not the intake) If "tuning" the valve closed, should the stock cooler still be considered dangerous due to coolant particulates?

By sticking with the EGR system and installing the bulletproof cooler, how often should the EGR valve be cleaned?

With additional oil & coolant filtration, clean fuel, and a good romp once a week, does the EGR valve still require cleaning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Basically there's 2 "best" options. Which you choose is dependent on you and your state.

No emissions state: Bullet Proof Diesel EGR Delete
Emissions state: Bullet Proof Diesel EGR Cooler

Those are your two "best" options. There are other EGR delete / cooler kits out there but BPD stands by their product really well and has only had a handful of failures (due to welds that was quickly fixed and rectified by BPD).
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
The Silent Service

Here's the basic answer for deletion of the EGR - Its a Federal Law that mandates the emissions equipment, therefore it doesn't matter. If you do block or delete the cooler, you will need to get a tuner to prevent the CEL from coming on.

Tuning the EGR valve, only ensures that the valve remains closed, however high-boost can unseat the valve and allow blow-by. The stock cooler should still be replaced.

I strongly recommend going to the BPD Cooler, you will still need to clean the valve every so often. I think the new recommendation is 20k. I still use the weekly WOT method to avoid cleaning the valve.

Since you're looking for a '06, ensure that the build date is after Jan '06. That is the last time the updates were made to the engine, includeing 20MM dowels on the heads. I have an '07 with a Sept '06 build date, and couldn't be happier with my truck.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks to you both for the reply...

acidsniper; if I install a coolant filter right away, can I safely run the OEM EGR cooler for a while? The truck is coming with a 12 month bumper to bumper...

colo_dually; if the truck I'm looking at was built before Jan '06, what should I look out for if anything?

Either of you know if the build date in the VIN code? I'm gonna poke around to see how to interpret those VINs but maybe you guys know...
Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTreeMan View Post

acidsniper; if I install a coolant filter right away, can I safely run the OEM EGR cooler for a while? The truck is coming with a 12 month bumper to bumper...

colo_dually; if the truck I'm looking at was built before Jan '06, what should I look out for if anything?

Either of you know if the build date in the VIN code? I'm gonna poke around to see how to interpret those VINs but maybe you guys know...
While the coolant filter is a highly recommended upgrade it won't do much for prolonging the life of the EGR. The problems from the EGR cooler itself comes from a design flaw in the EGR cooler not being able to handle the combination of immense heat and pressure given off by the 6.0s. This causes blow by and pressure buildup which pulls your heads stretching the stock head bolts.

While the coolant filter will help prolong the life of your engine, it won't do much for prolonging the life of your EGR cooler.

Read your bumper to bumper veeery carefully, make sure that head gaskets, EGR, EGR cooler, glow plugs, injectors, oil pumps, etc are covered since those are the usual culprits. I'd recommend upgrading the EGR cooler anyways, warranty or not, but that's just me.

Regarding the VIN. Try this: Free VIN Decoder - Vehicle Identification Number Report
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Get a ScangaugeII and set it to observe the EOT, ECT, FICM voltage and MPG. Set it before buying the truck and use it at test drive. Drain out the coolant as soon as the warranty is over, if you can and put in ELC EC-1 Coolant.
From my experience with mine for 4 years, look at my signiture and be happy with a great truck.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We just got some Scan Guage II's in....pre programmed for us with the oil temp.

ScanGauge II Digital Data Monitor

JC.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTreeMan View Post

The '05 and up trucks need the STC fitting on the HPOP replaced, along with dummy plugs and stand pipes on the HPO system. The EGR cooler is not as reliable as the one on the '03s.

The '05-'06.5 also require the updated oil line on the turbo. They also have the power steering cooler in the same location as the earlier 6.0's. These trucks also run the older 18MM dowels.

Regaurdless of the year of the truck, its imparative to know a few things from the Oaisis Report: 1) Where headgaskets ever replaced, and if so how was it done. 2) Number of EGR Coolers and Oil Coolers rebuilt/replaced. 3) Any other repairs that could indicate a history of problems, or regular service intervals not documented.

If you monitor ECT/EOT delta, and keep up on the maintance the truck will be reliable. If you want a truely bullet-proof truck, you need to do some reading and invest some money to do so, I recommend you start here:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC@BPD View Post
We just got some Scan Guage II's in....pre programmed for us with the oil temp.

ScanGauge II Digital Data Monitor

JC.
My b-day is today. Any b-day discounts?

J/K
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you call me and order it, I will sing Happy Birthday to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.