Doing my first coolant flush tomorrow.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doing my first coolant flush tomorrow..

hey all,
I got everything I need.
New T-Stat, 4G Zerex ELC ec-1, 25g distilled water, 1G restore, new coolant line filter and 1gt of VC-9. I couldnt find any restore+ around here so I oredered some VC-9 from the dealer. I didnt notice that the VC-9 came in a 1gt,I know I should use 2 but I dont have time to order more now since Im starting in the morning. I think I will be ok with just using 1 even tho 2 would be better.
I will be removing the T-stat during the flush to try and save some time. Also my scangaugeII was suppose to be here yesterday but isnt going to be here till tomorrow. I was hoping to get a before and after temps but that dont look like its going to happen. I will be able to monitor temps for doing the flush tho. I just got this trk about 2 weeks ago and Im just trying to prevent any problems. It dont seem like its running hot but you cant trust these dash gauges.
Im really hoping for some nice low temps after all the flush so i dont have to change out the oil cooler and egr cooler. I already talked to a local shop about having them change all that out incase I dont feel like doing it. They said doing just the oil cooler and new intake gaskets it would be about $1300, If they changed out the egr cooler and oil cooler and flush out the intake it will be about 2k. That includes parts and labor.. But to be honest it dont look like that hard of a job,Just time consuming.
Anyways thats whats up for me tomorrow...Wish me luck with matching temps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 01:20 PM

Good move but get the gauges in first before the flush then add cardboard in front of the radiator to get the heat up 185-190* to get the products to work and drive for about 1hr then just before you get back pull the cardboard to cool it down quick. I did 5 distilled flushes then added Restore+ drove the same then did 6 distilled flushes then added the ELC through the t/stat hole till full then replaced t/stat and hoses finished through the degasing tank. It took me 12 1/2 hrs but i work slow. and 48 gallons of distilled water.
2 stroker
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 PM

I have city water and we also have a water softner so i was going to just use that for most of my flushes (6-7). Then after the VC9 flush I was going to flush 3 times with distilled and then the final fill with distilled and zerex. 3 distilled flushes should get out all the city water I was reading. Im guessing you dont think so since you used all distilled..
Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 PM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'm hoping to finally getting around to doing my '05 this weekend. I've got all the stuff and 30 gallons of distilled, so I'm hoping all goes well.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
I have city water and we also have a water softner so i was going to just use that for most of my flushes (6-7). Then after the VC9 flush I was going to flush 3 times with distilled and then the final fill with distilled and zerex. 3 distilled flushes should get out all the city water I was reading. Im guessing you dont think so since you used all distilled..
You need to flush more as you'll find out. Once you finish flushing out the VC-9 (use tap water here) then run 20-24 gallons of distilled water through it. That's what it takes to get most of the tap water out. That still leaves about 1.5% tap water or there about.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
You need to flush more as you'll find out. Once you finish flushing out the VC-9 (use tap water here) then run 20-24 gallons of distilled water through it. That's what it takes to get most of the tap water out. That still leaves about 1.5% tap water or there about.
Thats sounds like what Im doing..I was going to flush it 3 times after the VC9 so thats about 21G of distilled flushing...All tap water before and during the VC9.

Shark
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Thats sounds like what Im doing..I was going to flush it 3 times after the VC9 so thats about 21G of distilled flushing...All tap water before and during the VC9.

Shark
If you flush 3 times after the VC-9 that will be about 12 gallons i did 6 flushes after the Restore+ = 24 gallons.
2 stroker
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM

I thought we add 7 gallons per flush..Doesnt our coolant system take 7gallons? I must be missing something here.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I thought we add 7 gallons per flush..Doesnt our coolant system take 7gallons? I must be missing something here.
Yes the system hold 7 gallons but you can only drain a little over 3 1/2 gallons at a time that is the reason when you go back with your ELC coolant you install 3 1/2 gallons this will give you a 50/50 mix
2 stroker
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
Yes the system hold 7 gallons but you can only drain a little over 3 1/2 gallons at a time that is the reason when you go back with your ELC coolant you install 3 1/2 gallons this will give you a 50/50 mix
2 stroker
Oh ok...
I dont know why I havent read that anywhere about only being able to drain 3.5 at a time..Ive read a ton of write-ups about doing this and none said anything about only being able to drain half the fluid out at one time. How am i suppose to know this..I thought it would drain the whole system when you pulled the block plug and bottom hose besides whats in the degas. Anyways I still have 25g of distilled water that I will be flushing thru it so either way its the same..It will just be a few more flushes...I guess I was confused becasue it said to add 3.4 -4g of coolant then top off with water..I know I have to mix the concentrated stuff up...Im not a complete moron..just half way..

Last edited by SharkDiver; 06-02-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.