Spoke With The Previous Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spoke With The Previous Owner

I just bought my 07 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat FX4 package. It has 125k miles on it. I got the previous owners name off of the title and gave him a call.

He bought the truck in 08 with 47k miles. He replaced the rear end about 6-8 months ago. He used the truck for his electrical business in Il. His reason for trading was because he was headed back to Il out of Marshfield, Mo towing a wind turbine when the turbo gave out. The dealership told him $8-112k to fix the turbo and go through the heads and about 3 weeks worth of time to do it. He said had it not been for the issues, he would not have traded in the truck

I plan on calling the dealership to ask what they did with the truck and to see if it has any type of warrenty on teh work, I bought it from another dealership which I'm assuming bought it at auction.

I guess my question is, knowing this info now, is there anything I should be watching for with the truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to KyBlue Send a message via AIM to KyBlue
The usual things, Oil cooler, EGR Cooler, ICP sensor, get the factory gold coolant out, put in a coolant filter, Get some gauges installed to monitor the important stuff.

Good Luck with the new purchase
Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'd feel better about an 06-07 than the rest of the years but that doesn't mean they're without problems. you didn't happen to find out any maintenance on the truck did you?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
I'd feel better about an 06-07 than the rest of the years but that doesn't mean they're without problems. you didn't happen to find out any maintenance on the truck did you?
A little, seems the owner took pretty good care of it. He had just had the trans fluids flushed and I would assume since they had to change the turbo and work on the heads, that the other fluids were flushed as well. He sadi that the ONLY reason he traded was because he was on the road and could not wait the 3 weeks nor did he have the money available for the work to be done. I will be trying to call the dealership that did the work and see what they will tell me if anything.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 AM
Slacker

Keep us posted, Donnie. The dealer should be able to give you a print out of all the work completed on the truck.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Keep us posted, Donnie. The dealer should be able to give you a print out of all the work completed on the truck.
I was thinking the same thing. Wonder also if the work will warranteed even though I am not the one who had it done and it is also not the dealership where I bought it, the dealership that did the work sold it at auction.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Slacker

Typically, those would have to be covered by the dealership who performed the work since it wasn't done as a Ford Motor Company warranty claim. Also, each dealership is it's own franchise, so the warranty may not be transferable.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM

Well I spoke with the dealership today, Don Vance Ford in Marshfield, Mo, and what he told me was that according to their notes all they had to change was some sort of water valve and hoses and that the turbo nor the heads needed work. Because the truck had over a 100k miles, they wholesaled the truck.

Now should I be scared? I have put right at 1,000 miles with no problems so far but I have not had it under a load either. He also said that if the head gaskets were blown that it would show under everyday driving. The temp has not gone above half way even with the outside temp at 90 and the A/C on.

Now my thinking is either this truck is just about to blow or they took advantage of someone on the road by telling him there was more wrong than what there was.

And the previous owner said they only gave him $12k on trade because of the issues. I think I will call him and give him the info I got today.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie1 View Post
Well I spoke with the dealership today, Don Vance Ford in Marshfield, Mo, and what he told me was that according to their notes all they had to change was some sort of water valve and hoses and that the turbo nor the heads needed work. Because the truck had over a 100k miles, they wholesaled the truck.

Now should I be scared? I have put right at 1,000 miles with no problems so far but I have not had it under a load either. He also said that if the head gaskets were blown that it would show under everyday driving. The temp has not gone above half way even with the outside temp at 90 and the A/C on.

Now my thinking is either this truck is just about to blow or they took advantage of someone on the road by telling him there was more wrong than what there was.

And the previous owner said they only gave him $12k on trade because of the issues. I think I will call him and give him the info I got today.
The factory gauges are a joke, just another fancy idiot light. Get yourself aftermarket monitor/gauges before it's too late. Read this to get an idea of what's going on.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Slacker

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it just yet. Read the information in the link above and try to take some preventative actions. Oh and get a print out of all the work that was done, not just the list that you got over the phone. Typically, they will print it out and you can come in and get it or they can mail it to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.