Truck Not STARTING - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Not STARTING

Guys I have a 2006 6.0 Powerstroke that will not start when engine is hot. Truck will start when cold but does not start like it should (cranks longer and rolls over funny). But when hot forget it just cranks. Took to the local ford garage they said it was the FICM so changed it out. Ran fine for a few days, then back to acting up. Took it back they said it needs batteries, bought new batteries still wont start when hot. When the truck runs it runs fine, no smoke of any color just a little black. And when truck is at idle every once in a while it does a weird surge...I am not getting any codes any ideas??? STC fitting maybe? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it was a Ford dealership, then complain to Ford customer service. There are specific troubleshooting procedures to help the Tech avoid just replacing parts.

Were there not any codes? Can you get access to a scan tool? It sounds very much like a leak in the high pressure oil system (STC fitting, dummy plugs, stand pipes, injector o-rings, etc). Monitoring the ICP and the IPR duty cycle would help determine that (so would an air pressure check of the HPO system).

Last edited by bismic; 05-30-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Very much sounds like the stc fitting. I have an '05 f350 (build in january) and had the exact same thing happen only a few days after I bought it (used) from the dealership.

Have you tried shutting it off after getting it to working temp then firing it back up? Apparently the STC fitting will "swell" (ford tech says) or altogether fail which will prevent the oil from pressuring up to the minimum psi (500?) to fire the engine. I don tknow what you can do about the money you dropped on the FICM (if it was still ok) and the batteries (if you didnt kill it from cranking) but I would be pretty upset about the misdiagnosis as this is a common problem for the '05 to '07 6.0

While were on the topic, can someone explain what the dummy plugs and stand pipes do?

Last edited by tonto; 05-30-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
stand pipes are a passage from the branch tube to the oil rails which feed high pressure oil to the injectors. each upper standpipe also has a check valve

the dummy plugs go in place of the standpipe on the opposite side of the rail. both rails are the same part but are reversed on each side. the dummy plug takes the place of the standpipe on the opposite side. each dummy plug seals the rail with 2 o-rings, either can fail on an 05-07

on an 05-07 the original dummy plugs and standpipes are 10mm hex. the latest updated parts are 12mm hex, this is the best way to know if someone has previously installed updated parts
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM

mine did pretty much the same thing it was the hpop then had metal in the ipr from the hpop also replaced the stc fitting so maybe check the ipr for metal shavings and go from there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.