Y'all my thou$, now can you help a brother out? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RodeoPapaStroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Acton, Ca.
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Y'all $pent my thou$and$, now can you help a brother out?

Hey all,
Been readin (lurking) my a$$ off for bout 2 months since my 6.0 came up the road lookin like a Stanley Steamer! Since then, thanks to your posts, I've installed the Bullet Proof EGR & oil cooler and some other various do-dads. Love the Bullet Proof, love the new Edge CTS I installed tonight!
Here lies the mystery. I read alot about oil/coolant deltas being 3-10 degrees, 15 being critical. Is this because the oil cooler is water cooled and 15+ indicates trouble? Or will 15+ cause damage somehow?
I now have an EXTERNAL oil cooler and my new CTS monitor showed huge deltas for 25 minutes of warm-up. Temps. are as follows...

5 min. warm up, 5 min. downhill.......................................del ta 15-20*
15 min country drive, med accels..oil 155...coolant 188.......delta 33*
Idle 5 min.................................oil 170...coolant 186.......delta 16*
Regular country driving...............oil 185...coolant 188.......delta 3*
5 min drive uphill, low airflow.......oil 196...coolant 200.......delta 4*
Parked.....................................oil 205...coolant 200.......delta 5*
After 5 min cool down.................oil 203...coolant 188.......delta 15*

I've never heard of deltas being this far apart , but I've never heard of anyone speaking of warm-up. Is this normal? Does my EXTERNAL oil cooler make a difference? Will these deltas hurt my shtuff?
Thanks for sharing all your experience and opinion, $aved me a bunch on diagno$tic$ and labor!
Richard

Not Just Smoke & Mirrors

'04 CC 4x4 BulletProof EGR Cooler & Oil Cooler w/Caterpillar 2qt full flow filter/ Amsoil Diesel-Marine w/bypass filter / Zoodad Thingamajig / Edge CTS / 4" Cat back / El Cheapo coolant filter...All thanx to Ford Gold Coolant!
RodeoPapaStroker is offline  
post #2 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Warren, Oregon
Posts: 1,515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoPapaStroker View Post
Hey all,
Been readin (lurking) my a$$ off for bout 2 months since my 6.0 came up the road lookin like a Stanley Steamer! Since then, thanks to your posts, I've installed the Bullet Proof EGR & oil cooler and some other various do-dads. Love the Bullet Proof, love the new Edge CTS I installed tonight!
Here lies the mystery. I read alot about oil/coolant deltas being 3-10 degrees, 15 being critical. Is this because the oil cooler is water cooled and 15+ indicates trouble? Or will 15+ cause damage somehow?
I now have an EXTERNAL oil cooler and my new CTS monitor showed huge deltas for 25 minutes of warm-up. Temps. are as follows...

5 min. warm up, 5 min. downhill.......................................del ta 15-20*
15 min country drive, med accels..oil 155...coolant 188.......delta 33*
Idle 5 min.................................oil 170...coolant 186.......delta 16*
Regular country driving...............oil 185...coolant 188.......delta 3*
5 min drive uphill, low airflow.......oil 196...coolant 200.......delta 4*
Parked.....................................oil 205...coolant 200.......delta 5*
After 5 min cool down.................oil 203...coolant 188.......delta 15*

I've never heard of deltas being this far apart , but I've never heard of anyone speaking of warm-up. Is this normal? Does my EXTERNAL oil cooler make a difference? Will these deltas hurt my shtuff?
Thanks for sharing all your experience and opinion, $aved me a bunch on diagno$tic$ and labor!
Richard
Richard
Your deltas are the other way around must be from the oil cooler EXTERNAL to me they look good the only one is the coolant it's low because the t/stat does not open tell 192.2* did you install a new one if so i hope it was a Ford
Lookes good to me Mitch PGreenSVT should know he has the same setup.
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge Insight CTS Expandable Pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Delo ELC Coolant
Coolant Filtration System
pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp 4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A piller EGT,Boost,Trans
2 stroker is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your fine - no worries. The 15*F delta was a parameter Ford identified to be an indication of the "Water Side" of the oil cooler plugging up.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter; High-Idle;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax trans case;Fumoto valves;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's; BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL;ELC Ultra
bismic is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RodeoPapaStroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Acton, Ca.
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Absolutly a factory new tstat. Thanx man, was hopin to hear from Mitch too. I was expecting to see oil warm up faster than the coolant.?. I dunno

Not Just Smoke & Mirrors

'04 CC 4x4 BulletProof EGR Cooler & Oil Cooler w/Caterpillar 2qt full flow filter/ Amsoil Diesel-Marine w/bypass filter / Zoodad Thingamajig / Edge CTS / 4" Cat back / El Cheapo coolant filter...All thanx to Ford Gold Coolant!
RodeoPapaStroker is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RodeoPapaStroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Acton, Ca.
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Your fine - no worries. The 15*F delta was a parameter Ford identified to be an indication of the "Water Side" of the oil cooler plugging up.
Thanx bismic, I was hopin to hear that it INDICATES a problem, not CAUSES a problem.

Not Just Smoke & Mirrors

'04 CC 4x4 BulletProof EGR Cooler & Oil Cooler w/Caterpillar 2qt full flow filter/ Amsoil Diesel-Marine w/bypass filter / Zoodad Thingamajig / Edge CTS / 4" Cat back / El Cheapo coolant filter...All thanx to Ford Gold Coolant!
RodeoPapaStroker is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, Tx
Posts: 60
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
negative deltas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoPapaStroker View Post
Here lies the mystery. I read alot about oil/coolant deltas being 3-10 degrees, 15 being critical. Richard
Almost all of your deltas are negative deltas. Meaning no problems as far as overheating the EGR cooler. A positive delta of 15 or more is the point of concern. Even at that, you now have the BPD EGR cooler so you are miles ahead.
Saltfishr is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
TexasKingRanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sweet! ...
TexasKingRanch is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Acidsniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 495
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One thing I think you missed is when that 15* delta makes a difference. Based on the above it looks like you were taking temp readings at various "around town" driving scenarios.

The proper way to test the delta is to get your truck to operating temps and then drive at 65 mph on the highway. That is when you test the delta. Driving around town, especially in hilly areas, won't give you a true gauge of your ranges. Your "regular country driving" could fall into this (country driving here is 65+) and if so then it looks like you're right where you should be.

As explained above, the significant difference in temps during your warm up is due to the thermostat not being open and you, technically, not being up to "operating" temps.

~JW aka "Acidsniper"

2006 King Ranch CCSB FX4
MBRP 5" Turbo Back
DC Power 270 Amp Alternator
Airaid CAI
Edge CTS
Bushwackers
Recon mirror lenses
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
T6 & Rev-X

Things to consider about owning a 6.0
Oil Cooler Write Up
Coolant Flush Write Up
Proud Navy Vet
Acidsniper is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,716
Thanks: 25
Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The delta temp has no meaning for someone with an air cooled oil cooler.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter; High-Idle;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax trans case;Fumoto valves;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's; BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL;ELC Ultra
bismic is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
RodeoPapaStroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Acton, Ca.
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsniper View Post
One thing I think you missed is when that 15* delta makes a difference. Based on the above it looks like you were taking temp readings at various "around town" driving scenarios.

The proper way to test the delta is to get your truck to operating temps and then drive at 65 mph on the highway. That is when you test the delta. Driving around town, especially in hilly areas, won't give you a true gauge of your ranges. Your "regular country driving" could fall into this (country driving here is 65+) and if so then it looks like you're right where you should be.

As explained above, the significant difference in temps during your warm up is due to the thermostat not being open and you, technically, not being up to "operating" temps.
Thanks Acidsniper. I'll put er on the highway tonight.

Mark. With my external oil cooler the standard deltas mean little to me, right?

Not Just Smoke & Mirrors

'04 CC 4x4 BulletProof EGR Cooler & Oil Cooler w/Caterpillar 2qt full flow filter/ Amsoil Diesel-Marine w/bypass filter / Zoodad Thingamajig / Edge CTS / 4" Cat back / El Cheapo coolant filter...All thanx to Ford Gold Coolant!
RodeoPapaStroker is offline  
Reply

Tags
bulletproof , coolant temp , delta

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome