Is this normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this normal?

hey all,
Ive searched but didnt really find anything.. I filled my degas bottle this morning to the low level mark on the sticker when the engine was cold. I then drove the trk to work and i checked the degas and its filled almost to the top of the bottle. I opened the cap slowly to let the psi out but after abit antifreeze would come out the cap. With all the problems with this cooling system I want to make sure this is ok or do I have to drain some out..

Thanks,Shark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 PM

After youve been driving your truck at operating temp, your coolant level should be at the "MIN" mark. If you unscrew the cap (slowly) and relieve the pressure, youll notice the level will rise just about to the "MAX" mark. Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 PM

Yes the condition you describe is normal, fluids expand when they get hotter. Check any degas bottle in any vehicle when cold then when hott. Thats why some degas bottles say "cold fill" and "hott fill" and hott is the higher of the two marks. I hope i didn't sound to much like a smart a**. Only way I could think to explain it.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM

You dont sound like a smart ***.. I understand tho the fluids expand but I didnt think it was going to be to the point that the entire bottle was full. Too me that seemed like alot of expantion since the full COLD mark is so far down low on the bottle, I dont even see a HOT full mark..Im not really a idiot but Im alittle freak out from all this reading and right now Im at work and want to know if I was going to be ok to drive this thing home or if I would have to remove some of it. If I was at home I would just leave it sit and check it in the morning to see what the level was at.
Maybe im reading to much at one time and im on 6.0 diesel overload....I need to turn this cpu off and just enjoy the trk for awhile...

thanks,shark
Old 05-27-2011, 12:05 AM

In case your degas bottle does not have the recall sticker on it indicating the true MIN/MAX levels, the MIN line on the bottle is your FULL line. Be sure it is not filled above that MIN line.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 AM

It has the sticker..I filled to the low level cold ok mark on the sticker. I dont understand,This morning before starting the trk i checked the level and it was very low. I installed the fuel filter with arrow towards the degas bottle and then filled the degas to the low level mark.
I then drove the trk to work about 30 miles and thought I would have a look at the level. Thats when I opened the cap slowly to let the air out and noticed the entire degas bottle is now filled to the top. That seems like alot to me..I hope not.
Im going to check it again in the morning and if its still that full Im going to remove untill its down to the low level mark again.

Thanks,Shark
Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 PM

well these trucks hold 27.5 qts of fluid. I wish I knew what percentage coolant grew by to see how much actually is gained.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
information regurgitator

I filled my degas bottle to the lower "min" line with the truck COLD. It has never reached the "full" mark.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

If you just did a flush-and-fill maintenance on your cooling system there is a chance you have a bubble (entrained air) in the cooling system attempting to work its way out. Loosen the degas bottle cap and warm the engine up - the bubble may work its way out on its own. Having the front end up higher than the back end helps (considerably I mean...like 1 to 2 feet). Check the fluid level with the truck level though (of course).

Hope this helps!

Jonathan
Old 05-28-2011, 01:48 PM

ok.. I did just buy the trk from a ford dealer used. The fluid in my trk is bright green so I dont think they changed it or they would put the stock gold stuff in there. I will be doing a flush soon anyways and put in some ELC. Im waiting on my scangaugeII to come in so I can check my readings first tho. The scan tool I have only does codes... I hoping for some low deltas,Its like watching the lottery drawings and waiting for your #s to come up.. I think the odds are close to the same also as far as winning with a low delta or jumping on the fail boat with a high delta. It dont seem like flushing fixs high deltas much without having to change out the oil cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.