oil cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil cooler

im planning on doing a coolant flush and swap to elc and an egr delete, i also am planning on getting a scangauge II and was wondering if i would be okay not doing the oil cooler and how long it would be fine with the stock one. it has 114k on it now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
The Silent Service

Not doing the oil cooler while you're under the hood, is a crap shoot. You already have the top taken down, and you're solving the EGR cooler while you're in there already. The rebuild kit from Ford will be that piece of mind that it will be a while before you have to go back in there again. Mind ya, that rebuild kit is about haft the cost of a replacement oil cooler.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would flush it, fill it, and check the temps. If they are within a few degrees, go ahead leave it.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox'sFord View Post
I would flush it, fill it, and check the temps. If they are within a few degrees, go ahead leave it.
What he said^^^^^*

If the temps are ok after the flush and fill, go ahead and just do the delete.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
What he said^^^^^*

If the temps are ok after the flush and fill, go ahead and just do the delete.

I would think long and hard about that.. I flushed mine and ended up moving the clogging problem along.. Didnt have temp issues before my flush, now i am at 15 degrees... Gotta do cooler swap now... If you dont have temp issues right now, just run distilled water thru it getting all the Ford crap out and put in your ELC and see how the temps are... You might prolong a cooler swap.. Just my opinion though....
Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM

the big question is how many times in that 114k life did you flush the cooling system?

once, twice, thrice, none?

the less you flushed to more likely you will plug that cooler when flushing with restore restore plus.

I would get the scan thingy first, watch your temps for a week. get a mental note of what they are doing, then flush the bugger, then drive it, then if you need to replace the oil cooler/delete egr. but still delete that stupid egr and sell it to bulletproof for money.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM

These guys are right on.
Drain coolant.
Remove thermostat.
Flush the heck out of it with 2 gallons of simple green for 2 hours.
Flush with distilled water twice
Refill with 3-1/2 gallons of silicate free ELC (extended life coolant) + distilled water.
See where you are at then.
Worst case scenario you get to perform more labor, and your truck gets a shiny new one.

Last edited by TexasKingRanch; 05-27-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM

and you get the joy of lifting the oil cooler out and let drip all over the garage floor then run outside letting it drip all over the conrete driveway then finally use your noogin and throw it in the weeds only to come back 45 minutes later and spill more oil on the driveway that kitty litter wont get out.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 PM

im some what knowledgeable but im sorta confused. i was under the impression you would want to do the flush before the egr delete/oil cooler.......so your saying to check his delta before the flush....flush then do the egr delete...then to drive it and find out his delta is high and his oil cooler is clogged because he just flushed all that crap into it.....then take apart all that he just did to replace the oil cooler. and you have wasted all that good cat elc coolant you just bought???? please feel free to step in and correct me if im wrong but wouldnt you just want to replace or rebuild oil cooler. just makes more since
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM

unless you are saying to check the delta then flush then check again to see if you are good to go to just do egr delete but why even risk wasting coolant. i would just spend the extra money and do it right the first time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.