My new favorite oil? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My new favorite oil?

Mitch is going to like this thread, another oily monkey wrench thrown into the mix. This morning I was researching prices on oil because I have an oil change coming up.
By chance I thought I should check Oreillys so I searched.
I've seen Mystik for a long time and have wondered about it, but have never run it. I always figured I'd be better off with the big boys (delo or rotella).
But it seems for years Mystik has not cut corners, at least in previous years that is true as they had a more robust additive package.

Mystik JT8 15w40
I think I just found my new favorite oil, saw the price and a VOA.
It is a synthetic blend priced at @ 14.99 a gallon.
Regular oil is selling for that price around here.

I'll be replacing the oil in my truck with Mystik very soon.
Mystik is made by CITGO, and from everything I've read the impression I get is they put a little more effort into it.
http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20003.pdf

Best of all, it's made in Texas.
2 gallons for 27.99 at Tractor Supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/motor-o...2-gal--8030740

Can be bought for $10/GALLON in WI/IA/IL by the 5 gallon bucket at farm and fleet.

Here is an old VOA... but we're CJ-4 now so I doubt it is the same.

Quote:
iron 3
lead 1
aluminium 3
sodium 5
silicon 7
boron 166
magnesium 22
calcium 2793
phosporous 1533
zinc 1731
molybdenum 122

vis@40 C 118.8
vis@100C 15.25

TAN 1.9

Last edited by TexasKingRanch; 05-25-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Truckspring has it for $12.14 a gallon. I looked into it once before, but think I'll pass thanks.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Truckspring has it for $12.14 a gallon. I looked into it once before, but think I'll pass thanks.
just trying to educate myself.... why?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 PM

I believe PGreen likes full synthetic 5w40.
To me, it is worth saving the $10/gallon extra.

This is a semi-synthetic 15w40.
Good oil for the buck, real popular with farmers and ranchers and I think they may be onto something. Going to send in a sample and have an analysis done.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:49 AM

Good stuff for farm equipment. Low rpms in most farm equipment remember. I wouldn't suggest it for the 6.0 HEUI system though. It's good oil better than other 15w40. I just couldn't recommend it for the 6.0 injectors because our motor sees so much more pressure at the rpm range it runs. To each his own though. Just don't call the injectors junk if they fail running this.

Side note my dad owns a farm and he had been using this for years. Like I said good stuff.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 AM

That makes absolutely no sense. RPM does not have anything to do with suitability in this situation. Now, running diesel oil in a high RPM race car is not the best idea because the additives used to achieve high TBN compete for surface area with anti-wear additives.

This Mystik semi-synthetic is fine oil for this truck.
The Powerstroke was designed to run 15w40, and unless you're running synthetic this is probably one of the better oils readily available.
The only time I run synthetic is when its cold outside for better pumpability, otherwise you get the typical clacking until it warms up the oil.

This idea promoted by everyone that regular oil is not good enough is false.
I understand the benefits of synthetic but unless temperature dictates an oil with a lower pour point there is absolutely nothing wrong with running a conventional diesel oil. Oil technology has come a long way, Delo and others use group II+ oils, which means it has a high viscosity index.

Group II+ is around 119 VI
Group III is above is 120+

So what you get with these oils is some performance benefits rivaling that of group III. Changed often the engine would go 500k miles. Not sure how well the rest of the truck would hold up, but I'd bet a large sum of money you would not have an oil related failure.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKingRanch View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. RPM does not have anything to do with suitability in this situation. Now, running diesel oil in a high RPM race car is not the best idea because the additives used to achieve high TBN compete for surface area with anti-wear additives.

my point was RPM in conjunction with the HEUI.. MORE PRESSURE FASTER DELIVERY NEEDED etc etc. I could go on and on about the differences in equipment. Basically there different not apples to apples just because it works well in a tractor doesn't mean its great for a truck. I don't mean to scare anyone from this oil. It will work for the 6.0. Fully syn will work better is the point.

This Mystik semi-synthetic is fine oil for this truck.
The Powerstroke was designed to run 15w40, and unless you're running synthetic this is probably one of the better oils readily available.
The only time I run synthetic is when its cold outside for better pumpability, otherwise you get the typical clacking until it warms up the oil.

I AGREE, however I would recommend most definitely a 5w-40 fully syn during the winter for your injectors. It works better IMO.

This idea promoted by everyone that regular oil is not good enough is false.
I understand the benefits of synthetic but unless temperature dictates an oil with a lower pour point there is absolutely nothing wrong with running a conventional diesel oil. Oil technology has come a long way, Delo and others use group II+ oils, which means it has a high viscosity index.

Group II+ is around 119 VI
Group III is above is 120+

So what you get with these oils is some performance benefits rivaling that of group III. Changed often the engine would go 500k miles. Not sure how well the rest of the truck would hold up, but I'd bet a large sum of money you would not have an oil related failure.
AGAIN DON'T DISAGREE, but FULL SYN IS BETTER that's all I am saying.

I love how you throw out the knowledge you have like you are something special. Anyone that can use google can find out that info. I am a mechanical engineer/design engineer for a living big frigging deal. I know these standards as well. I even considered this oil when I was going to start doing my own oil changes.

However I would from my own UOA only recommend fully syn 5w40 in winter and fully syn 15w-40 in summer depending on location of course

What I hear from you is this.

Fully syn is expensive and unnecessary in the summer. That is not a false statement. However fully syn is better if someone wants to go the cheaper route go for it.

I do fully syn 5w40 mobil 1 for a few reasons*
1. I buy in large quantities on sale (reason I don't switch grades from summer to winter)
2. The fully syn I buy is proven from UOA's to be better.
3. Availability

Will this 15w-40 work in our trucks absolutely and if your tight on a budget and want a great oil for the money this is probably it. Again 15w-40 summer, 5w-40 winter.

I however would recommend a fully syn 15w-40 or 5w-40 over it. I think that is all anyone has done here. More expensive, but works better.

Oh and anyone reading this keep your changes low 5k to 6k unless you have a bypass filter and are doing UOA regularly.

:: SIDE NOTE :: I get mine for 17 bucks a gallon. I know most would just spend a little extra to get fully syn texaskingranch included I bet. ::

Last edited by FordWake; 05-26-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Funny, I thought you were a young kid saying "its too high RPM to run that oil"

Like I'm someone special?
Just stating the facts,
Do you know how many mechanical engineers I've met who had bad attitudes??

You are comparing an oil that costs $25/gallon to an oil costing $13 a gallon.
That is approx double the price, and we're comparing a SEMI-synthetic to synthetic.
You don't really expect a semi-synthetic to be quite as good, do you?

I don't think you're a mechanical engineer.
But you may be a rocket scientist.

Last edited by TexasKingRanch; 01-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM

I want you to quit being a jerk. If you got beat up in grade school it wasn't me who did it, so spare me the attitude. Please.
That is if you expect to have a mature conversation. Otherwise I won't deal with you.

If you're going to be insolent stay out of my thread.

Have you run an analysis on JT8?
If not your speculation is just that, pure BS.

Last edited by TexasKingRanch; 05-26-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM

I apologize for being direct... but you were really pretty rude and the comparison is not a fair one. A full synthetic will clearly beat out a semi-synthetic especially once it approaches the end of its service life. But, a semi-synthetic will provide a similar level of protection, and I change my oil quite often, so it is a win-win for me.
In the winter I run synthetic simply due to the cold flow characteristics.
Synthetic oil is not the be-all end-all, and it does not always provide a high level of benefit.

I posted this to get opinions on this oil (MYSTIK JT8 semi-synthetic) if anyone has analyzed it, if not I will get it done and post the results. I do-not wish to compare it to synthetic oils, synthetic oils clearly have advantages in certain conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.