Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is there too much ELC Hype?

Tags
8K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  2 stroker 
#1 ·
As I read through the various forums and posts, it almost seems that half of the posts now are regarding coolant, flushing and ELC. Now I'll admit I have my fair share of oil cooler posting :) but I have to wonder, is ELC actually preventing issues? I am starting to see oil cooler postings where the owner had switched to ELC already, and to be fair they may have already had a clogged cooler, but the question still stands, how is ELC doing, has it prevented oil cooler issues (EGR cooler issues) and just as importantly has it actually improved your ECT / EOT delta's?

For the record, I finally switched to Zerex ELC over the weekend and glad I did.

#37 ·
LMAO Mitch:hehe:

#42 · (Edited)
My questions for this thread are:
How many people have made the swap to the ELC coolant and had an oil cooler issue?

If they did have another issue soon after, was the previously installed oil cooler plugged to the point of preventing an effective flush?

Has anyone had an issue with the plugging problem after not having a problem for a year or more after switching to the ELC?

What did the oil cooler look like that gave them a problem? assuming they cut it open after removing it.

#45 ·
How long had you been running the ELC previous to your failure?
Was the previous oil cooler so clogged that, maybe you didn't get an effective flush and got rid of the garbage that was present in the system, or was there junk left and that was what immediately clogged your new cooler?

I would like to hear about anyone that has been running the ELC for a long period of time and had an oil cooler failure, BUT after the fact of running the ELC for an extended period of time - say 1 year later or more.

#44 ·
mine plugged after the flush, cooler was filled with hard dark goo.

radiator had millions of fish flake like things come out whenever I dropped the lower hose.

new radiator, new oil cooler, new coolant and seems to be ok for now........

#46 ·
if your cooling system was neglected and you flush with restore restore plus, its a gamble. just be prepared to watch your delta and plan for a new oil cooler.

#47 ·
Absolutely right. We proper maintenance you shouldn't have a problem. The problem is Ford said the stuff was good for 5 years or 100k so people ignored it. I think that if your truck has over all these 6.0 are aging past the point where they should have been flushed and cleaned though most have not been. The point of the flush and cleaning is to prepare the cooling system for a clean coolant charge. The only real way to know what you are starting with as far as the oil cooler goes is to replace it and start with a clean fresh system. If you cooling system is in good shape it should survive a cleaning. If it is marginal it may not.

#48 ·
If i switch to Zerex ELC do I have to add the Motorcraft additive to the coolant or change and go..... I need to do this on a 6.0 i have done this on cars but not on my truck is it the same just get a flush kit from AutoZone.....

#49 ·
This is a little different than the car flush get some of this that the big boys use
Here is the Restore Product from Cummins dealer
http://www.fleetguard.com/pdfs/produ...LI33024-GB.pdf
do a search on coolant flush and a free weekend i used 48 gallons of distilled water and NO Motorcraft additive to the coolant:doh:
2 stroker:ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.