Fluid/General Maintenance Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fluid/General Maintenance Questions

Hey there everyone,

I have a free weekend comming up and i want to do some general maintenance on the truck. My plans are the usual oil change, fuel filter change, trans fluid and pan gasket change, coolant flush with coolant filter install, and check the diffs. Can anyone suggest a place that i could buy all the necessary materials for this? I live in the nw suburbs of chicago (elgin to be specific), but i am not opposed to buying online if i have to. After reading a bunch of articles here, i know most fleet shops have a good deal of the stuff, but i cant seem to find one by me. Any suggestions on any of the parts would also be greatly appreciated seeing as how this is my first diesel. Sorry if i'm being too lazy, but i'm at work and really cant be searching for things right now. Thanks much, have a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm gonna suggest to only buy Motorcraft or Racor oil and fuel filters. This link here is one of the cheapest your gonna find.
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/f...k-filters.aspx
Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 AM

is there a reason to only use those brands? I am trying to learn here and after reading several threads i was thinking the shell t-6 was the way to go. I have quaker state syn in right now and havnt had issues, but i am always open to suggestions. Thanks for the reply, i will def check that site out in a bit.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Click on the link provided and watch the YouTube video's. The oil system in the 6.0 is very temperamental, you don't want to screw up your motor because you wanted to save a couple of buck$.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Yes only use motorcraft or racor. They are of the quality requred for our engines, others are not at all. T6 is just fine.

Mercon SP or Mercon LV for the trans.
look at my sig for how I did my trans flush.

How many miles on your truck?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM

thats a very good point, a few bucks here and there can cost a new motor down the road.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Dieselsite.com for the coolant filter.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Which temp/psi are you watching with the glowshift gauges?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 AM

well my truck has around 106xxx miles on it right now. i have had the oil changed a few times (no space to work and it was a crappy winter here) but i am leaking trans fluid at about a quart a week and its all comming out around the gasket. as for temps, i really dont like to let the trans go above 167 (random number i know but i get nervous after that). usually on highway i sit at 154 and in town about 158-160. Now keep in mind i bought the truck in november so this will be the first summer with the truck. i do not have an aftermarket oil temp but i do plan on getting an oil temp and coolant temp gauge to monitor the differential for head reasons. as far as psi, i can only monitor boost so if thats what you are talking about im 9-14 on highway but never go above 26. i already have the dieselsite coolant filter kit, thanks for reassuring me that it was the right purchase . I will def check out those links in your sig seeing how new to this truck i am. Thanks guys for all the help. One random question though. I had a buddy tell me not to go aftermarket for the trans pan gasket. he has an older 7.3 and said the aftermarket ones are foam and tend to leak. is this an issue with the 04 6.0? I planned on just getting an oem one anyway, but wasnt sure.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke Techie

The OEM trans gasket is designed to be reusable, but in your case if it's leaking than it's time to replace. Stick with the OEM gasket, it's not a common problem and don't hear many people complain about the gasket failing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.