Im looking to buy this trk - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im looking to buy this trk

Hey all,
Ive been lurking here for a few weeks doing some reading and enjoy the site. Heres my guestion. Im looking at this 05 cc FX4 lariat 6.0,It has 119,000 with 4k hrs on the motor according to the dash display. Its in great shape as far as the body goes aside from a few scrachs and such. It needs shocks and brakes and rotors from what I can tell. I havent driven it yet but I can if I want to.
It looked like it had the studs in the head already but its kinda hard to tell if those where just to hold the valve cover on or the studs I saw where holding down the head. I asked for a oasis report and any more info he could find.. Also this is from a ford dealer.. He said no problem but his printer is down and I can have the info tomorrow.
Now my guestion really is...What else should I be looking for.It has oil around the oil pan so im guessing it will need a new gasket. It appeared to me that there was also oil around where the motor bolts to the tranny and I saw even more oil up by the heads and exhaust mani.. It looked like there was also dried up oil by the intercooler piping next to the radiator like it had a oil line come off or something.. It comes with a 2 year warranty and it looks pretty much all stock as far as I can tell.
They want around 18k for it but I havent talked money with them yet. I feel alittle freeked out from reading all these blown head gasket stories and injectors problems.. not to mention the egr stuff... I would hate to jump into a money pit.

Sorry for the long post... Any info you guys want to tell me would be great.. I will be heading there in the next day or so to get the paper work and have another look.

Thanks,Shark

VIN # 1FTSW21P95EC39197

Last edited by SharkDiver; 05-24-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i pretty much have the same exact truck minus the fx4 option and I will tell you this, I love it. I have over 120,000 on it now and the only issue I have had thus far is the Injector Control Sensor going bad. One thing that I know that is very important though is if you can get it on a test drive hook up a reader and read out your ECT and your EOT. About the oil around everywhere, mine is like that too but does not loose a drop of oil. I think the hours may be a little high which may mean it idled a lot so it may have a good amount of carbon build up. Hmmm, also, I would take it for a good drive on highway speed and when your done see if anything has puked out of your degas bottle. That is really all I can honestly give for pointers. Like I said though. I love my truck and I am very happy with it. If you do end up getting it I would worry about getting the life extending mods before putting power into it. The guys that are blowing gaskets are typically running high power mods or towing a lot or heavy weight which increases that pressure in the cylinder. Happy hunting
Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 AM

I will not be towing anything.. Just my 3 sons and wife and I to our family cabin way back in the woods. Also we get alot of snow around here so I want a 4x4....... The only mods I think I would do is exhaust and maybe a egr delete and what ever else will get me better mpg..
Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i would get a coolant filter also. The amount of sand I pulled out of mine after 1000 miles was insane.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+1 for a coolant filter.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeguy29 View Post
i would get a coolant filter also. The amount of sand I pulled out of mine after 1000 miles was insane.
Ya I guess I would be buying a few items like those..Do you guys put oil catch cans on these motors aswel? And from what i read before,If you dont have to do a emissions test in your area you can do a egr delete. A EGR delete will not pass a smog test Im thinking..
What about turbos...How long can one expect a turbo to last under normal driving?Someone at work told me they go bad alot because of the internal waste gate....Is this true?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 AM

TOO MANY HOURS. Buy a different truck unless it is very very cheap.
I'm glad I saw your thread, last week I wanted to ask everyone how many miles and hours they have on their engines but I forgot!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When you go truck shopping, take along a OBDII device that can read EOT and ECT before you buy a truck. Read this to understand why.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
When you go truck shopping, take along a OBDII device that can read EOT and ECT before you buy a truck. Read this to understand why.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
I did read that,Thx.. I do have a scan tool so maybe I will do that..Texas seems to think there are too many hrs so I dont know what to do with this trk now..Im still going to look at the records and check it out again today..
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Mileage is about the same as mine.
My truck has 2500 hours. This one has 4000.
That is a lot of extra run time.

I would ask to see all of the maintenance records.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.