Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bulletproof cooler and modified "sneaky pipe"?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TexasKingRanch 
#1 ·
If a person wanted to retain the technical and legal aspects of the EGR system...what would you all say if a Bulletproof EGR cooler was used for its robust design...and an Elite sneaky pipe further modified with a hole drilled to allow "some" exhaust gas to pass thru the cooler? Or a factory pipe with the scoop removed (if you have one) and a bushing tig welded in the EGR portion with say a 1/2 or 3/8" hole...thereby reducing the exhaust gas flow by a great percentage?

Would this require a specific tune? Would the EGR valve still function normally with the reduced flow? Or would the valve and thus the ECM have all kinds of fits?

I'm just thinking of a way to keep it "legal" and also push out the limits of dirty intakes and EGR valve failures to a point where its not a problem for most. It seems some make it to 150K stock....so perhaps a restricted yet intact system could go out to 300K or further while not being rendered functionless.

#2 ·
Depends on the year, and more importantly the strategy of the truck weather the CEL will come on for restricted flow through the EGR cooler. A tuner like the SCT will tell the comp not to look for it, but returning to stock for an inspect could lead to issues down the road with a modded block off pipe. Only in the realm of the CEL coming on during the inspection.

I would either run the BPD cooler as its designed, or take it all the way to the other extreme with a block/delete. I don't see any benefit to finding additional middle ground.

#5 ·
BPD's guts are even beefier than the 03-04 units

#7 · (Edited)
What exactly measures the "flow" thru an EGR cooler? How does the engine know or not know if a specific flow rate is met at any RPM? And can that target flow be altered in respect to what the ECM wants to see? Obviously it can be ignored completely.

I understand the full EGR vs. full block...but I'm just thinking of a middle ground that actually keeps the EGR functional for the sake of being functional...but reducing its effects on the overall health of the engine.

If the States or Feds couldn't point to the EGR on a diesel pickup...a one-day class, an official illustrated government publication and a hand held diagnostic tool could easily take care of that for inspectors. I fully expect every State to be forced to comply with some MORE regulations in the short term. The way the liberal EPA fifth column is going its just a matter of a couple of more years. Its gonna get nasty for enthusiasts. I'd like to just say "ya..my EGR cooler is there and it is recirculating exhaust gases" while keeping its damage to a controllable level.

I suppose a sniffer test might throw my idea in the trash. But then again...does the Bulletproof cooler perform exactly as the OEM unit did in ALL respects as far as the EPA is concerned? And does the cooler keep the incoming temps of the exhaust gas down to the stock levels or better?

#8 ·
What exactly measures the "flow" thru an EGR cooler? How does the engine know or not know if a specific flow rate is met at any RPM? And can that target flow be altered in respect to what the ECM wants to see? Obviously it can be ignored completely.

I understand the full EGR vs. full block...but I'm just thinking of a middle ground that actually keeps the EGR functional for the sake of being functional...but reducing its effects on the overall health of the engine.

If the States or Feds couldn't point to the EGR on a diesel pickup...a one-day class, an official illustrated government publication and a hand held diagnostic tool could easily take care of that for inspectors. I fully expect every State to be forced to comply with some MORE regulations in the short term. The way the liberal EPA fifth column is going its just a matter of a couple of more years. Its gonna get nasty for enthusiasts. I'd like to just say "ya..my EGR cooler is there and it is recirculating exhaust gases" while keeping its damage to a controllable level.

I suppose a sniffer test might throw my idea in the trash. But then again...does the Bulletproof cooler perform exactly as the OEM unit did in ALL respects as far as the EPA is concerned? And does the cooler keep the incoming temps of the exhaust gas down to the stock levels or better?
Yes to your questions. The BPD cooler is a MUCH better unit than the 05-07 stock coolers due to the design and better than the 03-04 units since it offers additional support to the tubes to prevent rubbing. BTW, the PCM reads the amount of backpressure being created by the EGR being blocked despite the valve being open. Too much backpressure and it triggers a CEL.

What is interesting is that the machines that are used here in AZ do not support the CAN protocol, which our PCM's use. Once the machines are upgraded to support CAN, you can bet that any of the custom tuned PCM's with EGR shutoff or blocked will be failed once the EGR is commanded open (like they do on the gasser engines).

PS. the inspectors spent about 10 minutes climbing all over my engine bay to ensure that my EGR cooler was intact and connected. In my opinion, they were looking for a reason to fail me. I will guarantee you that the inspectors here DO know what to look for. Thanks to my Gearhead "stock equivalent tune for my PowerMax" tune, I passed the snap test (romp the accelerator peddle to 4k RPM's and hold it for several seconds).

#9 ·
Hold at 4K for several seconds???? Ahhhhh...it's not about the air anyway. It's about the tax revenue from smog test programs. Liberals can't get enough income to support their insane spending habits...so flunking diesel pickups generates that much more cash flow. Anything will do...just give them money for their other programs and re-distribution. They really could care less about EGR valves.

#10 ·
Truer words were never spoken! :doh: Yeah, the 6.0L is capable, although I haven't romped it up like they want me to. It usually takes several tries before I get it right and even then I only take it to about 3750. :D The visual inspection literally takes longer than all the other "checks" that they do. I spend my $37.50 each year , while gassers get to go 2 years between smog checks... Can you say Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? (WTF) :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.