Is the Semi-Bulletproof Kit worth it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the Semi-Bulletproof Kit worth it?

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is of the Bulletproof Diesel semi bulletproof kit. I know BPD has a great rep and have great products. I'm just wondering for the money is it a good deal? I'm planning on deleting the EGR and doing a flush and swap to ELC. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Curious as well, I am doing the 58V ficm, EGR delete, oil cooler upgrade also.

Probably an Edge to monitor unless someone says different.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
In a word yes
Old 05-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I have experience with four 6.0L that have the BPD oil cooler assy, 2 of them dropped oil pressure and wiped out injectors and HPOP with-in 5k miles, 2 were and still are flawless. All four claim EOT ECT deltas start to climb when in traffic, but the fan does come on from time to time due to oil temps. so take it as you may, I believe the install is extremely critical...all 4 were installed by professionals as a matter of fact one of the failures and both problem free ones were done by same installer, one problome truck was another professional. BPD stood by their product to the fullest extent, didn't cover 100% but was taken care of to the owners satisfaction. I have the upgraded design Ford oil cooler and did a thorough coolant flush and did switch(even though that "switch" is quite the debate anymore) but having clean coolant and a coolant filter is the key..my EOT ECT deltas have yet to exceed 4* even sitting in traffic. IMO, I would spend the money on Dougs intake for the delete and EGT control...if it was available at the time I did my studs and deletes, thats what I would have done after now seeing testimonials of owners of Doug's intake.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 AM

You can save $100 by getting the EGR cooler from them, and the oil cooler and gaskets from Tousley.

Oil Cooler: http://tousleyfordparts.com/partloca...subcat1=158122

Gaskets: http://tousleyfordparts.com/partloca...subcat1=158109
Old 05-21-2011, 02:39 PM

That's what I was thinkin. I just want to do a stock oil cooler for now. Later the BPD. I just want the EGR gone and the coolant swapped. I think I'm gonna get the delete from them and just go to the dealer for the cooler.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigs View Post
I have experience with four 6.0L that have the BPD oil cooler assy, 2 of them dropped oil pressure and wiped out injectors and HPOP with-in 5k miles, 2 were and still are flawless. All four claim EOT ECT deltas start to climb when in traffic, but the fan does come on from time to time due to oil temps. so take it as you may, I believe the install is extremely critical...all 4 were installed by professionals as a matter of fact one of the failures and both problem free ones were done by same installer, one problome truck was another professional. BPD stood by their product to the fullest extent, didn't cover 100% but was taken care of to the owners satisfaction. I have the upgraded design Ford oil cooler and did a thorough coolant flush and did switch(even though that "switch" is quite the debate anymore) but having clean coolant and a coolant filter is the key..my EOT ECT deltas have yet to exceed 4* even sitting in traffic. IMO, I would spend the money on Dougs intake for the delete and EGT control...if it was available at the time I did my studs and deletes, thats what I would have done after now seeing testimonials of owners of Doug's intake.
Cleanliness is essential when working on the 6.0L. The engine isn't known for it's fault tolarance. Any debris that enters the oiling system during the install of either our kit, or completely stock parts could have the same effect. In other words, it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Consider that most(~90%) of the HPOP filter screens we remove during the course of the repair have been compromised before we even touch the vehicle. That debris and filter element went someplace right? How about straight into the HPOP, IPR valve, and injectors.

Having said all that... Doug does make some very cool stuff

The semi bullet proof kit is a short term fix for SOME known problems. Our full kit is a solution for MOST oiling related pattern failures. We test our kits and ideas in the city of Phoenix. You know... The surface of the sun. And we test our products under extreme use in the deserts of Arizona, Nevada, California, and Baja. Our full kit was designed to meet or exceed the factory oil cooler specifications while increasing reliability and longevity of the 6.0L.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

I don't think anyones doubting the quality of BPDs products. I believe that I'm, like the original poster, unable to drop $2,200+ dollars on the full kit. The factory oil cooler is going to be a problem sooner or later. But, if we at least flush the Gold crap out, install the BPD EGR cooler and a new OEM oil cooler, were buying ourselves enough time to get the money for the remote oil cooler set-up. If it weren't for the steep price, we'd ALL be running the fully bulletproofed system on our 6.0s.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah77 View Post
I don't think anyones doubting the quality of BPDs products. I believe that I'm, like the original poster, unable to drop $2,200+ dollars on the full kit. The factory oil cooler is going to be a problem sooner or later. But, if we at least flush the Gold crap out, install the BPD EGR cooler and a new OEM oil cooler, were buying ourselves enough time to get the money for the remote oil cooler set-up. If it weren't for the steep price, we'd ALL be running the fully bulletproofed system on our 6.0s.
Thanks! Our goal is to provide the best product available. Doing so requires understanding the customer's perspective as well. We are grateful for the chance to interact with all members here.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigs View Post
I have experience with four 6.0L that have the BPD oil cooler assy, 2 of them dropped oil pressure and wiped out injectors and HPOP with-in 5k miles
Question, pressure or was it volume ?

What was the oil pressure reading ?

Per Ford only need 10PSI my stock as shipped shows 22PSI at idle in gear when warmed up oil to 195 and air reading 120 or so.

Last edited by DieselFord; 05-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.