fuel line instalation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel line instalation

Gonna run a braided fuel line to my pressure sending unit out of fuel assembly under fuel filter and just wondering how much fuel will cone out when i pull the Alan head bolt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

None if you take the cover off of the secondary filter and use a siphon (turkey baster is often suggested) to drain the bowl.

Jonathan

PS - I'd still put a rag under the test port as a drop or two always remains.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
when i siphoned mine out, i got about 8-12 oz out, as it filled about 1/2ish or a little more of a empty 16oz water bottle. be careful as the test port doesnt take any effort to strip or crack and you'll be buying an entire new housing assembley....the plug on my test port was a 6mm allen/hex head
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys . Didnt think about sucking it out . I wasn't sure if it would have pressure on it or not didn't feel like taking a diesel bath lol . The Allen is stuffed down in there good. Might un hook the hose coming off radiator for more room. Pulling wasn't what I was worried about, trying to tighten that adapter on the hose is gonna be tough
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Disconnect your battery first...braided line conducts...don't ask me how I know...

Put the adapter in first [M12-1.5 (male side) x 1/8 NPT (female side)] (NOTE - it has an oring to seat).
Put the hose adapter [1/8 NPT (male side) x -4 JIC] on next (NOTE - use teflon tape to seal the threads...avoid excessive use and avoid the last two threads)
Put the hose on the hose adapter (the hose ends swivel)

I don't foresee a challenge with the tightening here...it is more awkward getting the test port plug off because of its position...to facilitate you could remove the intake elbow and then have lots of room.

Just remember this is part of the fuel system so safety is paramount and the more preparation you put into this at the beginning will make the process much easier (and safer...did I say that?).

Jonathan
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM

it's easiest to remove the tube from the IC to the intake elbow, and the air intake itself. and just push down on the radiator hose. not sure how much coolant will come out if you pull that hose, but probably a lot?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
Disconnect your battery first...braided line conducts...don't ask me how I know...

Put the adapter in first [M12-1.5 (male side) x 1/8 NPT (female side)] (NOTE - it has an oring to seat).
Put the hose adapter [1/8 NPT (male side) x -4 JIC] on next (NOTE - use teflon tape to seal the threads...avoid excessive use and avoid the last two threads)
Put the hose on the hose adapter (the hose ends swivel)

I don't foresee a challenge with the tightening here...it is more awkward getting the test port plug off because of its position...to facilitate you could remove the intake elbow and then have lots of room.

Just remember this is part of the fuel system so safety is paramount and the more preparation you put into this at the beginning will make the process much easier (and safer...did I say that?).

Jonathan

I got bored the other day and assembled everything together. I did use teflon but I think I might dis assemble everything. Might make it easier the way you stated above. I might remove intake elbow and hose. Do I need to teflon tape the 12x1.5 male that threads into bowl ? Thanks. Very helpful
Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM

i've read, and been told it's best to use liquid thread sealer and that it's best avoid the tape in regards to the adapter
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

There's no danger with using teflon tape with diesel BUT I advocate proper application of no more than two wraps around the threads AND avoid the getting the tape over the end where it could cause foreign debris contamination if ingested to the fuel system; pipe dope works too. To each his own. Equivalent alternatives each with positive and negative considerations. The only reason I would disassemble is if I detected the presence of a leak. A fresh connection tends to make a crush seal if not fiddled with - if you ever loosened or removed the connection later, I would seal it (tape or dope).

Jonathan
Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Well Idid go more than two wraps and with what you said I might take it apart and re do it. So I should also tape/seal the threads goin into bowl also? And to the question about losing antifreeze from the hose. If its cold and you release the pressure it shouldn't run out maybe a dribble. Just my experience in the past . Could be different this time lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.