7.3 guy updating... maybe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 7.3 guy updating... maybe

current 7.3 owner thinking about trading it in on a 6.0 not trying to start a which is better conversation just want to know if you 6.0 guys think its worth it... Looked at quite a few forums about the issues live in a county were i have no emmisions so i would put an egr delete on it what else are needs to get it where it wont need as much shop time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedmybusiness View Post
current 7.3 owner thinking about trading it in on a 6.0 not trying to start a which is better conversation just want to know if you 6.0 guys think its worth it... Looked at quite a few forums about the issues live in a county were i have no emmisions so i would put an egr delete on it what else are needs to get it where it wont need as much shop time?
Gauges to check temps EOT-ECT max difference 15* Edge insight
Coolant filter remove casting sand and other junk
Fuel pressure gauge under 45lbs kills injuctors
Then if the coolant-oil temps look good do a coolant flush get rid of the Ford gold junk add a ELC coolant and the list goes on.
2 stroker
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 PM

But is it all worth it ?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM

personally i would update your 7.3 that you already have. i would never trade my 7.3 for a 6.0
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would have to guess that after upgrading your suspension, grille/head light swap and performance mods. That you would be into about the same amount of $$$ as head studs, egr delete, ficm and any high pressure oil system repairs (HPOP, STC fitting, ect...). Then you have a newer truck that is faster off the line (depending on the performance upgrades you do on the 7.3) and gets worse fuel mileage.

If it were me I would spend extra money on getting the 7.3 hp up a bit, dress it up with an 05 front end/grille swap (possibly 08 mirrors and tail gate) and maybe transmission upgrades (torque converter and valve body). In Feb of this month if I could have unloaded my Ex fast enough I would be driving an 02 Ex. Now I am into my 6.0 and will be in it for the long haul and when she does blow up it will be up for a Cummins CR swap!

The 6.0 has its good points and boy does it get up there and MOVE!!! But I have to do lots of extra work (bigger injectors, strategy roll back and slow down on the highway) to get the same mileage as the 7.3. So if you want to make bigger power go with the 6.0 if you want fuel mileage and easy maintenance the 7.3.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM

I would say its worth it! The 6.0 is a good running little motor, i love mine. But you really cant go wrong either way as long as you stick with a . Just my opinion
Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would never give a 7.3 up for a 6.0
Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke977.3 View Post
I would never give a 7.3 up for a 6.0
That's nice, I spent more money on my 7.3s then my 6.0. More gave it away, when trucks start having problems its time to upgrade, unless you want to sink thousands into it to "restore" it, only problem is if it gets totalled you dont get all that money back.

If you need a diesel it's worth it to upgrade, my next truck will be gas, allmost pulled the trigger on a new 6.2 last weekend but I got about 5 months of work coming up where I get free diesel fuel so Im going to hold on to it till spring

Last edited by mustangman02232; 08-17-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.