sell it or keep it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Cool sell it or keep it

well how many of us 6.0 guys have said that

so heres my situation. well let me back that up a little i bought a 6.0

well Ive had 11k awesome trouble free miles. i have to say i freakin love this KR. and honestly i like the 6.0. i knew what i was getting myself into. so i bought a warranty. figured for 2k it will be cheaper then paying for it myself. which is true i already used $1k.

my oil cooler is clogged 27 degrees delta
egr cooler is leaking
hg are on their way

so warranty doesn't cover oil cooler. covers hg, covers egr cooler

$299 for sinister egr delete
$129 for sinister coolant filter
$350 for ford oil cooler
$450 for arp's (use factory gaskets)
$500 for edge insight
($ for haul a$$ studded tunes )
dont know if it covers fluids
if not
$120 for oil change
$100 in coolant

= 2k

what else am i forgetting.

anyway im debating on getting a 7.3, 6.4 or a 5.9

am i crazy or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 PM

you're crazy, ill be blunt too

suck it up and do the work, you said you knew what you were getting into when you bought it.... you dont NEED to do studs do the flushes/oil cooler/ delete before the egr cooler explodes and you really need to do your gaskets. Most of these aftermarket warrantees are a JOKE and a waste of money, the money spent on that is half the price of a stud job. Cant go back in time now though.

Ill warn you now, a 6.4 is an even bigger money pit than the 6.0. It still has some of the 6.0 issues, they're maintenance *****s and most people who bought them new ignored that fact (same thing for most 6.0 trucks when they were new) Which is why the 6.0 got its rap in the first place. On top of it you cant really find a decent 3rd gen 5.9 for a decent price at all...

Theres a reason I bought my 6.0 and not either of the other two

FIX IT
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 PM

TRADE IT IN NOW!! me and my good friend was goin to trade his in (listen to this bad luck) the HG blew on the way!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:33 PM

check out mkm customs they have a couple different kits that include everything.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
you're crazy, ill be blunt too

suck it up and do the work, you said you knew what you were getting into when you bought it.... you dont NEED to do studs do the flushes/oil cooler/ delete before the egr cooler explodes and you really need to do your gaskets. Most of these aftermarket warrantees are a JOKE and a waste of money, the money spent on that is half the price of a stud job. Cant go back in time now though.

Ill warn you now, a 6.4 is an even bigger money pit than the 6.0. It still has some of the 6.0 issues, they're maintenance *****s and most people who bought them new ignored that fact (same thing for most 6.0 trucks when they were new) Which is why the 6.0 got its rap in the first place. On top of it you cant really find a decent 3rd gen 5.9 for a decent price at all...

Theres a reason I bought my 6.0 and not either of the other two

FIX IT
Thanks man I needed that
I talked it over tonight and I've decided I'm going to keep it. Man I can't part with the 6.0. I drove my sisters h&s tuned 6.4. holy he'll I was sold lol. And I can't see myself driving a dodge. Almost every dodge owner I know is a a hole (not all). And that's kinda why I bought a 6.0 I wanted to own something that everyone was scared of. And their cheaper then a 7.3 with the same miles. Only reason I would have got a 6.4 is because of power.

Yea I realize now that the extended warrantee was the biggest mistake ever. But like you said . No undo button in life.

And since 100% of the hg job is covered. That's the time to throw in a egr delete and obviously a new oil cooler. Of course flushing it out beforehand.

I decided that If I do it I might as well go all out. Studs & the whole 9 yards. I can't see pulling it apart and not doing hg.

It's going in tomorrow for an axle seal so I'm going to talk to them.

And on top of all of this in 10 days I'm leaving town for 2 months. And need my truck

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM

well try to get those hg's done before your warranty runs out is all i can tell you

Last edited by B4SouthernMiss22; 05-18-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling HG'S
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Keep it for sure. I wouldn't go back to a 7.3 for sure, sure they are great motor, my dad used to have one, but after having the power and speed of a tuned 6.0 i'd get bored with a 7.3. And you know what they say about the 5.9 dodge, it's like having a gold brick wrapped in S**t. You'd get annoyed with the sub par interior, and replacing the front end every couple years, not to mention the tranny if you don't find a 6 speed.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 PM

In all honesty, i think the 6.0 is a much better powerplant than the 7.3, it just runs circles around it. Its a lot easier to fix too, its so simply laid out once the cabs off.

Im around both these engines all the time helping my buddy out who does all kinds of side work in his personal shop, he has a cab off 6.0 in there every week and dreads when a customer comes in with a SD 7.3.

See what they say and report back, im curious as to what they say about the whole deal. Wish you luck on this. And you said it best, I STOLE my 6.0 from the dealer i got it from because of the fact it was a 6.0. Bought it then it needed an oil cooler and got the parts and did it at their cost. Ill be buying another 6.0 down the road and taking all of my stuff off and selling it to my dad to pick up a crew cab... eventually
Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 AM
The Silent Service

Keep the truck, man.

Once you've got the studs out of the way, the truck is great. The 6.4L is a bigger money pit.

A couple of things to save ya a buck or two:
The Insights' last I checked were running $300 for a CS, $400 for a CTS.
I'm sure you're already planning for SCT tunes, get a package deal with custom tunes when you buy it new (I don't take a chance buying these used and have the thing show up to you VIN-locked).
Ford now has a rebuild kit for the oil cooler that runs around $200, and just replaces the software and internals.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Keep the truck, man.

Once you've got the studs out of the way, the truck is great. The 6.4L is a bigger money pit.

A couple of things to save ya a buck or two:
The Insights' last I checked were running $300 for a CS, $400 for a CTS.
I'm sure you're already planning for SCT tunes, get a package deal with custom tunes when you buy it new (I don't take a chance buying these used and have the thing show up to you VIN-locked).
Ford now has a rebuild kit for the oil cooler that runs around $200, and just replaces the software and internals.
I have a x3 already. Thinking on getting some tunes from Matt And a cts is $399 and get probe was $129 they don't come with probes do they? I droped it off at ford. They said the oil cooler might be Covered well see. I'll know today what's happening. Oh and they told me to stud it. They won't put them back to gather without arp's. Man was I glad to here that. That's what I wanted to do anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.