HG Good or bad news? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
HG Good or bad news?

Here's what's goin on.
I had a small amount of coolant come out of the cap a few days ago. So today I took the scanner and the coolant temps were fine but oil temps were hot. So the oil cooler is shot. I'll post the readouts in a few hours . Trucks still under warranty so I know they will fix the hg. Even though their not blown yet. So I'm going to have to spend some cash on studs and egr delete. Anything else? Only problem I have know is I'm pretty sure they won't fix anything until the hg blows. But I don't want them to blow. On me and leve me stranded. Or go when I need my truck. That's the bad news. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Very similar situation happened to me. Coolant temps were fine, but oil temp was 11* hotter, and puked a little coolant out the degas bottle cap. The unison ring had fused to the turbo from all the soot and crud, which caused it to overboost. Dealership pressure checked the EGR and oil cooler, and they both checked out good. They rebuilt the turbo, and installed ARPs for me. Runs great now!

I took it in when I saw that the cap had puked a little, and they started the work right away. You don't necessarily have to wait for the gaskets to go, before they'll fix it. The gaskets are like 4 or 5 layers of metal, riveted together. They don't typically "blow". What happens is the bolts stretch, and the heads lift. I'd bring it in to them if I were you. More than likely if you puked coolant from the cap, your system is over-pressurized. That's enough for them to start tearin into your motor.

While your at it, supply them with the upgraded FPR spring, upgraded oil cooler screen, upgraded turbo oil drain tube, and upgraded STC HPOP fitting. They should be able to slap em in at no additional charge (except for the misc gaskets needed to pull the oil cooler and HPOP. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Higher oil temps and slight puking do not necessarily mean that the head gaskets are bad. It may just be the oil cooler and egr cooler that need to be replaced. If you can talk the dealer into doing head gaskets and studs as well go for it. You will have to pay for the studs of course and typically they won't warranty the HG's after because of the studs but hey. I second doing the stuff mah77 suggests as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Higher oil temps and slight puking do not necessarily mean that the head gaskets are bad. It may just be the oil cooler and egr cooler that need to be replaced.
Very true. I didnt mean to insinuate that he has the same issues as me.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:16 PM

i agree about the hg not being gone. but at 112,000 miles on stockers. they cant be doing good but and i pulled the egr valve and the inside of the intake is damp. so the egr cooler must be leaking no smoke yet.

so thats the whole debate. do i let them blow or not. if they replace the oil cooler and egr cooler. isnt that dumb to do because who knows how much longer the stock hg will go. then they will have to tear it all apart again. any thoughts?

heres some temps. and other data does it all look good?
heres at idle

driving in town

on the interstate cruise set at 60

heres some data at idle

whats the icp look like. is that good pressure at idle?

sorry for the bad pics. its impossible to take pictures with your phone and drive at the same time
Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 PM

one more question. should i go with black oxy hg or ford stockers. it seem to be debated lately on the org
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Let them do the oil cooler and EGR cooler, then if it still blows coolant they'll have a much better case for replacing the headgaskets. That's the way ford wants it done. they know 2 different things can cause the same symptom, they'd like to fix the cheaper one first, if it repairs the truck then good.

On the other hand, if the shop is willing to do the trifecta at once, then have at it!

use ford gaskets
Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
Let them do the oil cooler and EGR cooler, then if it still blows coolant they'll have a much better case for replacing the headgaskets. That's the way ford wants it done. they know 2 different things can cause the same symptom, they'd like to fix the cheaper one first, if it repairs the truck then good.
its not a factory warranty, its something i bought with the truck. so i dont have a clue how they would handle it hopefully they will just do it
Old 05-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
one more question. should i go with black oxy hg or ford stockers. it seem to be debated lately on the org

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
use ford gaskets

I agree. Ive talked to Erick Brown (brownsdiesel.com), and one of the techs at Bullet Proof Diesel, and both recommended using Ford headgaskets.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM

well ford gaskets it is! im going to do a pressure test tomorrow to see if the hg are leaking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.