Disabling EGR with SCT tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Disabling EGR with SCT tuner

I'm in the process of purchasing a SCT with custom tunes. I have stock EGR valve/cooler and part of the tuning will allow me to disable the egr valve. By doing this, am i effectively doing the same thing as an EGR delete kit? Do I still run the risk of a cooler rupture or other potential egr issues?

A couple of websites recommend to not do an actual egr delete but upgrade the cooler with their cooler and then use a tuner to disable the egr system thus leaving emissions equipment on the truck. Why cant I just use the tuner with stock cooler and accomplish the same thing?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The difference is, from my understanding, that the EGR Delete in the SCT tuners isn't a physical delete, it's basically tricking the truck's computer in to thinking the EGR is still there when you install a physicall EGR delete kit so that your truck won't put out a Check Engine Light for the EGR.

By doing just the SCT EGR delete you aren't fixing the problem and are just tricking the computer in to thinking the EGR is there and working fine, the EGR will still operate as normal (thus potential for problems later) without doing a physicall EGR delete kit.

That's my understanding at least.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Depending on the tuner you use, they turn off the egr valve with the new program. So if you do not do a egr delete then yes will still have a chance of a cooler failure.

later
jmd
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Premium Member

I was thinking that the SCT would "lock" the valve closed thus no hot exhaust gases going through the cooler or atleast not into the intake. Am I wrong?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 AM
The Silent Service

If the SCT programs the valve shut, excessive back pressure can still lift the valve and allow exhaust gas into the intake. The programming allows for the truck not to open the valve, but thats not a delete. The only way to prevent the failure of the EGR cooler, is a physical delete, or an upgrade to the unit from Bullet-Proof Diesel. When you delete the cooler, the SCT prevents the programming from looking for flow rate through the cooler, and throwing the CEL.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCPowerStroker View Post
I was thinking that the SCT would "lock" the valve closed thus no hot exhaust gases going through the cooler or atleast not into the intake. Am I wrong?
Yes and no, by turning off the EGR valve it prevents the valve from opening, but there are two things. If the spring in the valve is weak then there is a chance of the valve blowing open under boost conditions, and the other is if you take a look at a EGR valve, it has two valves to seat. Usually the bottom valve doesn't seat all the way leaving about .002"-.005" gap at the seat that can let coolant enter the intake, thus taking a chance of lifting the head when the piston try's to compress the liquid.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So...I got a BPD EGR cooler and an STC, but I will still be sucking exhaust. Great. Wanted an option that was easy to change back for the yearly emissions inspections. Looking to install a turbo back exhaust and I am wondering if I wasted my money on a cooler when I should have just gotten a delete.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 AM
The Silent Service

You didn't waste your money, you will have exhaust recirculation through your cooler but its the same thing I will be doing to my truck. If you have the emissions inspections where they test the exhaust, you will have to have a funtional cooler. The BPD system will prevent coolant from going into your intake, and I haven't seen or heard about one failing yet.

One last thing to consider, the EGR cooler is a Federally mandated piece of emissions equipment on these trucks. Deletes are marketed as Off-Road use only.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:47 PM

which tune are you guys using on the SCT that offers EGR options, I have SCT 7015 X4 and do not see any EGR options in my tunes and i am really not wanting to buy a completely new tuner for my egr when i delete it
Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

The canned tunes on the X4 offer the option to turn off the EGR cooler. If you are running custom tunes and don't get the option to turn the EGR off, you'll have to ask the tune writer whether it's turned off in the tune or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.