Wait, Wait, Wait! Now Im lost! (ELC) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wait, Wait, Wait! Now Im lost! (ELC)

Let me say, Im not a 6.0 guru but I do keep up on change interavals...Tomorrow I am was thinking of doing my EC-1 coolant swap......Im deleting the EGR tomorrow also, so no more coolant heat going into possibly the intake.

I read this, straight from CAT itself (please read all)....http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87058/7/elcfaq.pdf

The question is when ELC comes in contact with oil it turns to gel and if you use EC-1 this problem gets worse...

EC-1 you also have to maitenace test strips to make sure that the coolant is inline.

Now for your average joe with no EGR and a stock truck, would you still do this? Since the "checking" services are more for EC-1 compared to ELC....

Basically what I am saying is If you are deleting the EGR anyway, doing a flush with restore...Why not stay with ELC since your deleting the high temp exaust that seems to break down the ELC stuff....If your deleting the High Temp that breaks down the Ford ELC putting in a EGR delete, flushing and putting in ELC other than Fords would be actually beneficial then wouldnt it?

My truck is a 06, stone stock with a EGR delete. On a sidenote, Im just wondering cause some say to switch out to ELC and some say EC-1 on here...Whats going on?

Last edited by Rotbody; 05-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM

Im not sure what to do either. I did an EGR delete and have a coolant filter so I feel that my gold coolant is sufficient. My dad just picked up his 6.7 and I noticed there was red coolant in the bottle. Anyone know what is goin on with that? Ford ELC?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:27 AM

I run the ford gold, I'm all stock, I beat it pretty hard, a lot of WOT, i have no overheating issues as of yet, but once I get my monitor maybe edge cst I'll be able to see more clearly. I want to do the EGR delete as well but via the plate so it looks like its still there, emmissions standards are only going to get worse.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotbody View Post
Let me say, Im not a 6.0 guru but I do keep up on change interavals...Tomorrow I am was thinking of doing my EC-1 coolant swap......Im deleting the EGR tomorrow also, so no more coolant heat going into possibly the intake.

I read this, straight from CAT itself (please read all)....http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87058/7/elcfaq.pdf

The question is when ELC comes in contact with oil it turns to gel and if you use EC-1 this problem gets worse...

EC-1 you also have to maitenace test strips to make sure that the coolant is inline.

Now for your average joe with no EGR and a stock truck, would you still do this? Since the "checking" services are more for EC-1 compared to ELC....

Basically what I am saying is If you are deleting the EGR anyway, doing a flush with restore...Why not stay with ELC since your deleting the high temp exaust that seems to break down the ELC stuff....If your deleting the High Temp that breaks down the Ford ELC putting in a EGR delete, flushing and putting in ELC other than Fords would be actually beneficial then wouldnt it?

My truck is a 06, stone stock with a EGR delete. On a sidenote, Im just wondering cause some say to switch out to ELC and some say EC-1 on here...Whats going on?
First there are many forms of ELC, infact Ford Gold is considered a ELC. EC-1 from CAT (differenct designations with other manufactors) is a silicate-free ELC that won't break down due to high temps. Even with the EGR delete, there is still heat in your engine that can break down the Ford Gold and cause the oil cooler to clog. You should still consider running the silicate-free ELC, like the CAT EC-1. When folks here make the recommendation to swap coolants, they are a little vague, but most mean to say swap to a EC-1 rated ELC.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Emergency Services

I'm probably further from a guru than you are put here's my take on this and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will correct any of my misunderstandings.

I've been finding that people generally don't want to do a lot of maintenance on their vehicles and the cooling system is probably the most neglected part of a vehicle. ELC is Extended Life Coolant and EC-1 is the designation a coolant gets after passing the EC-1 testing so they are the same thing.

This is from the pdf you linked;
"Gelling of oil happens when an excessive amount of coolant has leaked into the oil compartment. This gelling phenomenon becomes worse when large amounts of coolant and higher amounts of solids are mixed with the oil. When large amounts of coolant are quickly leaked into the oil, a gel will form. This is not related to ELC but to the volume of glycol and water contaminating the system. With a high amount of dissolved solids in the coolant, the gel will become thicker and heavier regardless of the type of coolant used. ELC does not have the solids found in traditional coolants. If a cooling system was switched from standard coolant to ELC, there could be a higher amount of solids than are normally seen dueb to carry over contamination."

Gelling is not because of the ELC it's because of the glycol and water mixing with oil, ELC or Ford Gold or anything else, glycol and water is coolant (I hope I'm right here ) If LARGE amounts of coolant enter the oil gel forms (in the pdf) a ruptured EGR cooler will put that large amount in the oil for you (I don't see any other way this will happen). So the gel issue isn't really an issue, there is a bigger problem that causes the gel (the coolant leak). The CAT ELC is silicate free so doesn't have the solids the Ford Gold has. That means that IF the coolant contaminates the oil the result will be thinner lighter gel (although this still is not good).

As for maintaining the coolant, checking the freeze point, topping off the coolant and a litmus test (although the pdf states eh CAT ELC doesn't need this) is something you should do with ANY coolant not just the ELC. Spring and fall, check the coolant, make sure it's in good shape and it won't cause you any problems.

That's my novice
Old 05-18-2011, 06:02 AM

So if I buy with no silicates in it as in the EC-1 Im good? I can get CAT ELC (in the black gallon premix) here....On average how long does the EC-1 supposedly last then before your next change interval (ballpark)

Last edited by Rotbody; 05-18-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your assessment is spot on and yes, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are used as anti-freeze.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM

think im gonna order Amsoil Coolant !!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Nevermind. I go it now.

CAT ELC (EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT) with embitterment

CAT EC-1
Pre deluted engine Coolant
Do not add SCA (supplimental coolant additive)
Unique patented formula-better performance and longer life over other heavy duty and organic based coolants
Recommended for initioal fill up and top off
Premixed to 50/50 concentration for freeze protection down to -37 C (-35)F and boil protection up to 129C (264F) with 15 psi pressure cap. Use Cat ELC conentrate (238-8647) to adjust the tempratures as low as -51C -60F
Silicate free

and the coolant is a RED color also

Thats right off the label on it. I get what you guys are saying now. Thanks guys, I got a moment of clarity finally

Last edited by Rotbody; 05-18-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 AM

Just remeber that you cant use the 50/50 mix and get the right concetration in our trucks. You need the concentrate

Last edited by jeffro22; 05-18-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.