This Sucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This Sucks

First of all I have been a Ford guy all my life, Second I have farmed with diesels most of my life. I am half way thru flushing the coolant, this SUCKS are these things that tempermental that you have to go all that work just to change the coolant. There must be a betterway to do this flush this engine. I just bought this truck and now I'm almost afraid to drive it. Seems like everyone on this site is just waiting for something to go wrong with their engine. I was niave I guess I bought this thing thinking that it would last years just like the 200 HP tractor I own that was built in 82 and has 7000 hrs on it and still hasn't had the head off of it. And don't think that the tractor has had easy hours most of those hours were put on using all 200 of those ponies. They were rode hard a put away wet. I'm used to doing maintenance on engines, but what I read on here seems to me ridiculise. I was looking for a truck that I get in and go, not sitting on pins and needles every time I fire it up. Love the truck, the looks of it, the power of it and I love driving it. Rant over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
I just bought this truck and now I'm almost afraid to drive it. Seems like everyone on this site is just waiting for something to go wrong with their engine.
Not so! Just do the basic maintenance things, a few reliability upgrades, and don't worry.

What year truck did you buy? How many miles? Mods?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Im gonna be with ya in the next couple of days too....When you did the flush did you find alot of crap coming out? Details buddy since you did the hard work already. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 AM

GEEZE, boy are people scared of these engines! If the truck was maintained, kept in stock tune, not beaten on,the 6.0's are reliable. There are many out there in stock configuration, coolant and all with 150K plus miles. Upon purchasing (as I did) discard the stock EGR cooler (bulletproof or delete) flush with Restore, change coolant to ELC, install coolant filter, replace your oil cooler, and go.

The injectors love synthetic oil, upgrade your fuel pressure spring (Ford kit), keep your batteries up to snuff, and you should have no problems. Upon buying the truck go through the above steps (easily under $750 in parts) and you should have a truck you can depend on.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Are you changing the coolant or just flushing it? I did a coolant swap about 6 months ago and thought it was pretty straightforward albeit it takes quite a few steps. Are you using Restore and VC-9? As mentioned, once you get your maintenance program started, it's merely a matter of changing your oil/filters and of course doing your normal maintenance that you would have to do with any vehicle.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
First of all I have been a Ford guy all my life, Second I have farmed with diesels most of my life. I am half way thru flushing the coolant, this SUCKS are these things that tempermental that you have to go all that work just to change the coolant. There must be a betterway to do this flush this engine. I just bought this truck and now I'm almost afraid to drive it. Seems like everyone on this site is just waiting for something to go wrong with their engine. I was niave I guess I bought this thing thinking that it would last years just like the 200 HP tractor I own that was built in 82 and has 7000 hrs on it and still hasn't had the head off of it. And don't think that the tractor has had easy hours most of those hours were put on using all 200 of those ponies. They were rode hard a put away wet. I'm used to doing maintenance on engines, but what I read on here seems to me ridiculise. I was looking for a truck that I get in and go, not sitting on pins and needles every time I fire it up. Love the truck, the looks of it, the power of it and I love driving it. Rant over!

The reason the flush is so extensive is to get any residue from the Ford G-05 coolant out of your cooling system in preparation for fresh coolant. If you refill with ELC you should be good for 5 years. Then you can just flush with VC-9 or Restore Plus and put fresh coolant back in. If you choose to continue with the Ford G-05 look forward to doing this every 2 years or 50k miles and running the risk of clogged oil coolers etc.

This isn't your tractor.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Not so! Just do the basic maintenance things, a few reliability upgrades, and don't worry.

What year truck did you buy? How many miles? Mods?
06 FX4 Lariat crew cab with 60k, stock
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotbody View Post
Im gonna be with ya in the next couple of days too....When you did the flush did you find alot of crap coming out? Details buddy since you did the hard work already. Thanks ahead of time.
Haven't finished the restore+ flush yet will post back
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The reason the flush is so extensive is to get any residue from the Ford G-05 coolant out of your cooling system in preparation for fresh coolant. If you refill with ELC you should be good for 5 years. Then you can just flush with VC-9 or Restore Plus and put fresh coolant back in. If you choose to continue with the Ford G-05 look forward to doing this every 2 years or 50k miles and running the risk of clogged oil coolers etc.

This isn't your tractor.
I'm going with a swap to Cat coolant the EL-1 not cheap either. And my point was with the tractors is I didn't buy this thing thinking I would have to work on it all the time in my space time. With running a business and farming I don't have any spare time.

I was fustsratated last night That's all
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:

I just bought mine in December, updated the STC fitting and next for EGR delete and the rest of the HPO system, eventually I'll be able to get some performance mods done.

Every now and then I get upset, thinking why should I be fixing manufacturing weaknesses, over all, I love the truck and know its potential.

If I had to pay someone to do all of this work I would probably be without a truck anymore, no way could I afford a couple hundred dollars everytime something in here goes bad.

And the worrying every time you start it, (or hope it even starts) I'm right with ya on this!! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.