Fuel filter questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Fuel filter questions...

We just picked up our '05 6.0 F350 last month and I'm trying to establish a maintenance baseline with the fluids and filters so I know what's in there and know when it was last changed.

I was glad I changed the oil rather soon after getting the truck because the dealer that we bought it from installed an aftermarket oil filter, which I then replaced with a Motorcraft.

I just picked up a Motorcraft fuel filter set tonight. As per various sites I've rear and what my dealer showed correct for my '05 6.0, I went with the Motorcraft FD-4616 filter set. I did notice that the main (lower/pump) filter does look different than I've seen it some pictures. I've seen different part numbers, too. I've sen the FD-4604 used by some, but I've never found out what the differences are or if certain ones with certain 6.0s...

I just looked up my fuel filter on fordparts.com and it showed the FD-4604 listed for my exact truck (looked up with VIN#).

Did I buy the wrong filter or are they interchangeable?

I've got a few other questions, but I'll save those for AFTER I know if I got the right filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4616 is correct and has replaced the 4604. 4604 will work just fine too, but it will be older stock. I think that the difference is an added o-ring on the frame mounted filter.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM

did you buy a cap and filter. if you use the wrong cap for the filter the oil will drain from the housing and will not filter the oil
Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingof350 View Post
did you buy a cap and filter. if you use the wrong cap for the filter the oil will drain from the housing and will not filter the oil
I'm confused...?????????
Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM

I think where he's going is that there are some aftermarket oil filters that come with a cap designed to work with their filter. If your truck happened to have one of these filters and you changed to the proper Motorcraft filter, then the cap would be incorrect and would require replacement. Again this is only *IF* the old aftermarket filter was the one which required its own cap.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM

like wix for example the wix cap is taller and will cause this problem with the motorcraft filter.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:53 PM

I'm glad you guys mentioned this. I did install the Motorcraft filter, but did notice the cap to be "tall". I just went out and snapped a pic and sure enough; it's very tall and different than the "stock" caps I've seen in pics... crap. Do you think it's even filtering ANYTHING right now? How about damage done? ANY?

Looks like I've gotta call Ford tomorrow and get a replacement. Ugh. I'm guessing the filter needs to be changed again, too?
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel filter questions...-filter.jpg  
Old 05-17-2011, 04:57 PM

You can probably keep the filter, but mingof350 was spot on, you need a new cap.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Nice catch on the wrong cap.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

filters fine just get the cap. if ford cant get you one quick throw a wix back in till you can get it. wix Cap and filter $30 should be no damage just wasnt filtering the oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.