AutoEnginuity vs Edge Insight whats better - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AutoEnginuity vs Edge Insight whats better

What are the major differences between Edge Insight CS or CTS and auto engenuity. I have heard that auto engenuity can some online testing. Can I leave it connected while running down the road? Can AE also display real time eot and ect reading. I am looking for the best bang for my buck and comments? I have looked over the web pages for both products and I need real world impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

while the edge will show most of the major gauges and read/clear dtc's the autoenginuity will do that and way more. its more like the diagnostic tool your dealer uses. it allows you to read darn near everything that the pcm sees and will let you run injector buzz and contribution tests.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM

It depends on what you are looking to do? Although the AE is a far better diagnostic tool, keeping a laptop on your console to use as gauges is not the best idea, score one for edge. If however, you are looking for diagnostics the AE will allow far more flexibility and tools that are needed for these trucks. For me, I have the Edge, hopefully I won't "need" the AE, but if my truck breaks badly, I will probably spring for that too.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
exactly, it all depends on what you want to do. sounds to me like the OP wants to monitor mostly while driving. edge for monitors, AE for diagnostics

believe me, watching a laptop while you are driving can be distracting. it's definitely not something you want to do all the time
Old 05-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I use the AE program as my primary diagnostic tool. It's not the most user friendly program I've ever dealt with. But it's relatively easy to use. You really can see just about every parameter that the PCM/TCM is seeing. It's great for watching ICP desired and actual pressures, checking boost, checking EGR valve operation, checking turbo actuation, cutting out injectors, doing injector buzz tests, and a whole lot of other things.

It will definitely not replace having a good gauge set, but if you wanted to go down the road and check your EOTvsECT's it will do that just fine. Not to mention being able to check ABS, airbag, and really any other electronic controller on the truck. It really was the best bang for your buck that you can find to do diagnostics. You will need to get the Ford enhanced coverage to do all the aforementioned testing though.

Like I said, you don't need to be a computer genius to use it but you will need to be somewhat computer literate, and having used some other sort of scan tool experience would help to. Compared to snap-on's MODIS, or the Mac mentor it's by far the most user unfriendly. Mostly if you ever want to do a software or firmware update. The company will work with you but I've had some issues with it.

Oh, and one other nice thing about it is being able to do graphing. You can overlay different parameters, such as EOT and ECT, or ICP actual and ICP desired and the see if they track together. But you do have to configure the sensor readings to make it overlay properly, which goes back to the user unfriendly comment.....
Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

It is true that these are distinctive and discrete tools yet the AE is clearly the more versatile. Acknowledging that, it is also more expensive - especially if used a a gauge set as there is a laptop involved (a completely separate expense).

To address a specific question of the OP, there is an issue with full-time monitoring with AE unless there is an isolated ground for the laptop when it is plugged into the 12v power adapter. A ground feedback loop could fry the interface at the OBDII port (the AE tool) and the laptop power supply (not the DC converter).

Most folks are BEST served by an OBDII tool such as the CS/CTS but the FULLEST capability is realized with a diagnostics tool such as the AE...how much are you willing to spend really dictates what to select. Using a tablet computer or netbook (as long as it runs a full Windows platform) you may approach a more utility sized gauge set (but then diagnostics will be more challenging). Ultimately everything is a compromise unless you buy both...truly an expensive solution.

Jonathan
Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post

To address a specific question of the OP, there is an issue with full-time monitoring with AE unless there is an isolated ground for the laptop when it is plugged into the 12v power adapter. A ground feedback loop could fry the interface at the OBDII port (the AE tool) and the laptop power supply (not the DC converter).

Jonathan
Please explain this to me. I too am interested in AE and have an old laptop that the batteries will not hold a charge and am planning to have it plugged into the 12v.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by headviking View Post
Please explain this to me. I too am interested in AE and have an old laptop that the batteries will not hold a charge and am planning to have it plugged into the 12v.
Click link, scroll halfway down for laptop connected to DC.
http://www.autoenginuity.com/faqs.html
Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have both and they both definitely have a purpose. The AE is more of a diagnostic tool, although it can be used as gauges with the caveat of the ground issue. The Edge Insight is a GREAT monitoring tool, but it cannot read all the PID's that are important, particularly when performing diagnostics. If you had to choose one, go with the AutoEnginuity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.